The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By overmywaders
  • 1 Post By brucerducer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough
Default A Priest, anyone?

I was going to make a priest for myself with a six-inch section from an old cane fly rod butt and a few heavy brass nuts, the whole held together with epoxy. It shouldn't look too bad - not as nice as the old Hardy priests, though. The new Hardy's have a cork handle, which is, IMO, overkill.
Click the image to open in full size.

However, I need a new small mag light. Has anyone here used a thin mag light that is sturdy enough to double as a priest for trout, sunfish, etc. Is there such a beast? I don't want to carry any more than necessary and a light/priest would be fine.
TIA
Hardyreels and sibir like this.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A Priest, anyone?

Hi Reed,

I haven't taken trout for 32 years and back then didn't use a real priest. The fish I keep for food are larger than what you are looking to bump off (pun intended, bump - priest, get it ) For big fish like salmon I use a knife to pierce the brain and then cut the gills. It kills as close to instantly as I can get. For what you need and the size fish we're talk'en here, the priest in the photo is very cool.

I can imagine they are somewhat expensive but they are really a neat piece of gear! If you were to get one you better put a lanyard on it. It would be a shame to lose such a fine piece of equipment.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-15-2012, 05:11 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A Priest, anyone?

Hi Hardy Reels:

A lightweight but efficient "priest" could be made by getting a graphite Golf Club from a Thrift Store, sawing it down to maybe 6" below the handle.

the Fiberglass Rods used to stick a Red Reflecter to mark a driveway can be placed inside the Golf Club handle with some Gorilla Glue and cut to length.

It can hit hard enough to do the quick job on a fish, while being very light weight.

The same Fiberglass Rod, left about full length this way, can also be made by the same method to make a really great "pointer" for a teacher.
Hardyreels likes this.