The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Gear Bag / Wader Duffel Suggestions;

Hey Everyone, I need some info before I make a choice.

I am going to buy 2 new gear bags for our travels. These will be big ones to hold the waders and all the other stuff in one bag.

The only ones I have been looking at are the fishpond Yellowstone.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you are using these or something similar how bout giving me your opinion. There have been several times that Nancy has left something behind, I need an all in one for her gear. I also need one for myself so I don't become envious of her gear bag.

What are you using?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gear Bag / Wader Duffel Suggestions;

Ard,pm Allan...when he came fishing here he had everything in a bag...was impressed by it...don't remember the brand
Will have to buy one too if I fly over next summer
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Ard,
I have the Fishpond Bighorn which looks a lot like the bag in the pic without the wader compartment on the bottom. I've had it for a year of so (70-80 trips) and it still looks like new. I'm sure this thing will outlast me, very solid and well built. Mine has dividers that attach with velcro and can be configured however you want. I carry rainwear, gloves, socks, extra fly boxes, various sunglasses, etc. and have room to spare. Well built and well designed, I love it.
Rich
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ard,

I have that same bag you posted the photo of and all I can say is that it is THE bag to have IMHO. I really like the wet/dry separation, there is a mat to stand on that can be removed if you choose to do so and the mouth opens up wide on it. I've flown with it numerous times now and it has withstood the wear and tear of the baggage handlers in the airports. The bag still looks brand new minus a scuff mark here or there that is inevitable when being tossed around by the baggage handlers. I like the pockets on the sides to place smaller items in there-- cell phone chargers, camera power adapters, fly boxes, terminal tackle, etc. I'm not a fan of the wheeled ones because they add weight to the bag and cost unless you're buying one of the wheeled duffels that are cheaply made to begin with. That might be something to consider for your travels with Mrs. Ard though. It might make things easier on you in the long run!

This bag + one small duffel holds all of my fishing gear and clothing for a 10 day fishing trip. Even when loaded down, the shoulder strap makes carrying it as comfortable as can be given the weight. The bag can get heavy when loaded down, but I carried a hockey bag for 20 years so this is nothin Great bag, well made, recommended and would buy again if I was in the market.

The other thing that I am happy about...when I first got the bag, before it had even gone on a trip, I had a problem with the zipper coming off the track when I attempted to load it up. Contacted the shop were I purchased, who then contacted Fishpond. Fishpond sent me an RA and I shipped the bag back, they shipped me out a brand new one and I had it within 2 days--before my trip even! Never paid a dime for shipping. They stand behind their products, and customer service was excellent. For the price, this is a great buy.

If you want a more minimalist type of bag, the Patagonia Guidewater might be worth a look too. Obviously warranty is a NON issue with Patagonia as well. LL Bean might be a place to look as well since they also stand behind their products. Luggage as you know tends to take a beating over time.

I do have another bag, a Sage to be exact, that I use for single day or overnight trips. It's basically the same principal but smaller. The Fishpond in reality can be used as well but I'm trying to save it for when I really need it.

Hope this helps, can't wait to hear what you ended up with.
Hardyreels and chi flyfisher like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks fellas,

When fysh & Mrs. fysh were here they had a big one made by fishpond. I didn't ask which model it was but was secretly admiring it. Since then we (Nancy & I) went to Valdez for a few days and took a few trips to the cabin. There was some confusion as to where all of her various tackle items were when it was time to load the truck. I suggested these big bags and she said that she would love "something like that". So, this makes a birthday gift easy........
fysh likes this.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Couldn't agree more with Jaybo. I have the bag and I've had mine for years - I think my first trip with it was 7+ years ago. It's a well built bag and is gigantic. Filled right, you can get a ton in there. The small pockets on the front are ideal for a lot of stuff like mentioned or you can jam them with enough underwear for a week in just one pocket. There is a nice long pocket along the back where I put all my liner socks and other stuff. Can't say enough about it.

Another note - before I got a travel tube to carry multiple rods with me, I didn't want to check one rod tube and was over the carry on limit. I made the mistake of putting a rod tube in it - which fit. But it was tight up against the side of the bag and when it came off the conveyor, it ripped right at where the tube was. Not the bags fault. I mention it because that tear has not grown in size in years since it happened even when jamming this bag full.

Cheers,
Mike.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I should give credit where due. Chi is the one who steered me towards the Yellowstone bag. Well made choice on my behalf taking his suggestion. Thanks Mate
Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Well.........

based on what you guys have said and seeing the bag the the fysh's brought on their trip I will go fishpond Yellowstone

Thanks for the reassurance,

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: Gear Bag / Wader Duffel Suggestions;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Well.........

based on what you guys have said and seeing the bag the the fysh's brought on their trip I will go fishpond Yellowstone

Thanks for the reassurance,

Ard
Solid choice Ard!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,
The bag we had was the 'Bighorn' by Fishpond.
Hardyreels likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*