The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Korkers Hyjacks

Does anyone use these wading shoes? I am thinking about grabbing a pair in the morning. I wet wade for stripers in the warmer months a lot and right now I am fishing jetties for albies and think these will be perfect to wear with pants/shorts. I also plan on replacing my redington boots with the Korkers Chrome boots so I will be able to interchange the soles beteen the two.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Korkers Hyjacks

Hi Alex,

Can't help you but wanted to say hi.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Your post caught my attention as I love my Korker Chromes, and this was a 'new one on me.' Light, 'affordable,' do the job and reasonable foot protection for small stream wading. For 'rivers' I'll stick with full on boots. Do a cut/paste for a pretty good review (close up the gap between http: and //)

http: //azwanderings.com/rambling-review-korkers-hyjack-wading-shoes/
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Thanks for posting the review! I went and tried them on today, I love them! However, I left without them. I ended up buying a new rain jacket and pair of Costa sun glasses. My rason for not getting them is simple, I would probably only get to use them once or twice before it is too cold. I need to replace my old boots so I am going to get the Chromes now, and then the Hyjacks next spring. I am really liking everything that Korkers has out right now.

Hi Ard!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

You'll love the Korker Chromes; best boo I've ever owned regardless of price. With the BOA lace up system getting them on/off is as easy as it can get. Just remember to take your waders/socks with you when you 'fit' the boots.

I ware a size 10 street shoe, but (even with these) the best fit was a size 12 (lots of toe wiggle room). Often wondered who the Village Idiot is that figures out the sizing on these things .......

Fred
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Awesome to hear! They are an awesome looking boot and the craftsmanship seems top notch. My favorite part will be not having to handle wet and sand covered laces anymore lol. Toe room is very important to me, my Redingtons have held up well (I am EXTREMELY hard on boots) but the toe box is way cramped. It is almost like they shrunk. They fit great and then all of a sudden I can barely even wear a thin running sock under my waders with them.

At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the soles, thought they may break easy but after looking and handling them they seem to be well designed and constructed. Will be awesome to be able to hike in with regular soles and then be able to have 2 different kinds in my pack and not even know they are their because they are so light.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:35 AM

The old version of the Korker's had 'their problems' but these seem to have been well sorted out. The 'good thing' is you ware out the bottoms, not the boots. Just get a new set of bottoms (about $40.00+/-) and pop them on. Or for that matter you can swap them out depending upon the fishing situation. Extra set of bottoms can't weigh three - five ounces (give or take).

Good to go.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I have many, many backcountry hiking miles on my Korkers. Rather than pack wading boots on my many backcountry trips, I just take my Korkers with rubber bottoms. I then keep the felt bottoms in my fishing pack for when I hit the river. They show some wear, but I have put them through hell. Great product.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Perfect, that is exactly what I am looking for. I also like the idea of having separate felt soles so I can have 1 dedicated to one river and another set dedicated to another river.

$40 to replace the sole is a lot cheaper than sending a "normal" boot in to be re-soled.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the talk about the Korkers Chromes caught my eye. Seems you guys must just get a better pair than the two I've had. My shoes keep falling apart after a couple of months. And really, I'm not all that hard on my boots. Luckily, I've bought them through Cabelas, so I just keep exchanging them for another pair. For $200, I expected a bit better construction. I will say though that the BOA system and the replaceable soles are great.