The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Mora Robust: Great knife to have in the bag

I agree you can't have enough of these knives around.

For the cost of one expensive other brand name knife you can get a fleet of Moras which will prolly serve you better and longer.
The 2 I have are carbon blades as well. I was thinkin fishermen may prefer stainless for its corrosion proofness.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm a knife freak. Always have been. I really like that Mora. I'm got to get a couple.
I usually carry an Opinel while fishing. Inexpensive and cool in carbon.
Opinel Knives SuperStore | 200 Knife Models | 26 Opinel Categories
They keep a good edge.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I'm a knife freak. Always have been. I really like that Mora. I'm got to get a couple.
I usually carry an Opinel while fishing. Inexpensive and cool in carbon.
Opinel Knives SuperStore | 200 Knife Models | 26 Opinel Categories
They keep a good edge.
I agree the Opinels have a great reputation aswell. I like the plastic Mora for its weather proofness. Although the wooden handled Opinels prolly float eh?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM

halvis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I agree you can't have enough of these knives around.

For the cost of one expensive other brand name knife you can get a fleet of Moras which will prolly serve you better and longer.
The 2 I have are carbon blades as well. I was thinkin fishermen may prefer stainless for its corrosion proofness.
I have read here a bit, but registered so I could reply to this. I consider myself a knife nerd, have a bunch of way too expensive knives, and especially collect Bark River knives, and some from custom makers. MORA knives are without a doubt, the best knives for the money on the planet. The "craftline ROBUST" model is one that I have bought multiples of. Its always available on that auction site, for $14.85 with free shipping. The only downside is the handle may bit a bit thick for those with smaller hands, its carbon steel and will rust, and it could be sharpened a bit better as delivered from the factory. But it is THE KNIFE to buy for any outdoorsmen on a beer budget.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halvis View Post
...I consider myself a knife nerd, have a bunch of way too expensive knives, and especially collect Bark River knives, and some from custom makers. MORA knives are without a doubt, the best knives for the money on the planet. The "craftline ROBUST" model is one that I have bought multiples of. Its always available on that auction site, for $14.85 with free shipping. The only downside is the handle may bit a bit thick for those with smaller hands, its carbon steel and will rust, and it could be sharpened a bit better as delivered from the factory. But it is THE KNIFE to buy for any outdoorsmen on a beer budget.
Me too on the knife nerd thing. I dabble in knife making. I have made a few that turned out and a few that didn't. This one was fun putting together. You've prolly heard of Enzo blades from Finland? This is the trapper I handled and built a sheath for. The wood is local bird's eye maple. Great blades. How far does youur nerdiness extend? You have a Turley? Id love to get one of them someday.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
halvis likes this.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM

halvis is on a distinguished road

Nice trapper & sheath!~ I am familiar with Enzo & Turley, but have owned neither. "Enzo & Turley", looks kinda funny together! Apples & oranges after all. I certainly appreciate Turleys knives, but we are talking GUN or nice ROD money there! lol. I guess I am a "bang for the buck" kinda guy, hence my appreciation of the Mora's. I will admit however to buying some of Eric Fehrman's knives (preowned), the most I have spent on any one knife was on Fehrmans. When it comes to custom makers I really like C3 (Cody) & Big Chris's knives, especially in cpm3v.
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halvis View Post
I will admiROD money tt however to buying some of Eric Fehrman's knives (preowned), the most I have spent on any one knife was on Fehrmans. When it comes to custom makers I really like C3 (Cody) & Big Chris's knives, especially in cpm3v.
I checked out Fehrmans knives, really like the Peacmaker. Nice knife, and even nicer price.