The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Looking for a piece of equipment

Anyone seen an item called a Tundra Sled and know where to find it? Used for portages. I can't find it on the internet.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a piece of equipment

Would that be an actual cargo sled like a pulk or your basic canoe cart ?
There's lots of commercial canoe cart brands and they're not too difficult to build from PVC pipe

Pulk with wheel conversion kit

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM

It had no wheels or other parts, just the heavy-duty plastic bed and I suppose some rope. Wheels would be nice, but weight is often a factor for me. I'm pretty sure it said "Tundra Sled" on it, and I know the guy I ran into rented it from the float plane base.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

What is it that you want to use this for, knowing that would help me to make suggestions.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Is it just a sled with deep sides? Cabelas or bass pro should have what I THINK you are looking for in their ice fishing section.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 PM

I do wilderness trips where a float plane lands on a small lake or pond if the river is too small (I like floating small rivers). Often there is a bit of a trek from the lake to the river. We like comfortable camps, so we bring the gear that will make that happen (not to mention beer and good food). Some bags are a bit unwieldy to carry. Apparently there is lightweight sled that is fairly easy to slide over the terrain. A friend told me a cement sled might work. Another alternative is portage backpacks, but certain pieces of gear (rafts, rowing frames, screen tent) are a bit heavy. Thanks, guys, for your help.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There are what is claimed to be heavy duty pulk sleds but I can't imagine that they're good on rocky terrain
Siglin_Sleds
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A very common sled here is made and sold under the name Otter. Take a look at Otter sleds web site and look at their mini sleds. We have 3 of these, 2 are for use with the snowmachine and the third is a mini that is good for small loads. I drill the gunwales and install threaded steel eye bolts on all our sleds. This way a load can be secured with a tarp and either bungee cords or ratcheting straps.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Anyone seen an item called a Tundra Sled and know where to find it? Used for portages. I can't find it on the internet.
I think what you are looking for is called an Akio Sled. They come in various sizes. Some are one man pulls others are team pulls.
I have used one of those 'kid tabagon’s" you can get at Wally world for a couple of bucks.
Riveting a couple of wooden or aluminum runners on the bottom will make them last longer if your trek is for an extended period. Two old rake handles for the hitch will keep it from banging into you when you go down hill.
I’ve used mine for a number of years for my overnight ‘Bambi’ hunting. It carried my gear in and bambi out with relative ease. It really makes draging gear around a whole lot easier.
As I grow older I find I use it more often on my day hunts.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Google "deer sled" and then look at the images until you see what style you like. Cabela's sells them for sure.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/