The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default I need help picking a kayak

I'am picking up a Kayak early next year. It will mainly be for fly fishing used. I don't want a Angler Kayak cause I'am going to fix it up myself and it's cheaper. I have never been a kayak so it must be stable. I have found three Kayak's that I'am interested in. The Bass Pro Shop Ascend 10. The Old Town Heron 9 and the Equinox 10.4. They are all in my price range of $300-$400. Anyone know other Kayaks in my price range that will be good? Anyone used these Kayaks before?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need help picking a kayak

Good choice on not buying an angler kayak, no sense in paying for stuff that you may not use.
A couple of things that you may want to think about....
Right now, shops that rent kayaks are selling their stock so as they don't have to store the old boats and can start fresh next season with nice shiny new ones . You can buy a used rental really cheap. Just make sure to check the skeg for wear. Renters are not careful about dragging the boats around.
Second, shops that sells canoes and kayaks usually have a paddle day in the spring where you can try before you buy. Costs a few bucks maybe, but you can try out all they have to offer
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i have an ascend fs12t itsgood for the money. 500 bucks
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

I do have a local rental kayak shop around. They also have a layaway program but I do agree Riptide they aren't careful, but they will let me come in and test the kayaks out to see what I'am interested in.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
I'am picking up a Kayak early next year. It will mainly be for fly fishing used. I don't want a Angler Kayak cause I'am going to fix it up myself and it's cheaper. I have never been a kayak so it must be stable. I have found three Kayak's that I'am interested in. The Bass Pro Shop Ascend 10. The Old Town Heron 9 and the Equinox 10.4. They are all in my price range of $300-$400. Anyone know other Kayaks in my price range that will be good? Anyone used these Kayaks before?
Just a thought. If you stretch your budget a bit you can buy a used tandem canoe. Pretty stable, can take lots of gear and a fishing bud. Vr