The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough
Default Sun glasses, what's good?

What's the best fishing sunglasses, especially for low light conditions and polarized lenses. Looking for opinions so money is no object.

My eyes are horrible (baaaad prescription and colorblind) so I need all the help I can get.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: Sun glasses, what's good?

Costa Del Mar. I love my Man O Wars!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've been a smith fan for quite a while.
great polarized shades IMHO

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM

crruns will become famous soon enough

I got myself a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets in their angling specific polarized tint. I was looking at the split jackets, but they have more prescription options available in the Flak Jacket line. They weren't cheap (worth about 3 pairs of non-prescription Oakleys), but really, the lenses are quite amazing. The look is probably a little on the sporty side for some, but I do more running than fishing, so I'm okay with the look, and I prefer a little more coverage of a wrap-around lens.

I've had non-prescription Oakley in their brown polarized also, and colors really pop.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of Natives with amber lenses that I really like. Lenses can be interchanged but I've only used the amber. Are you looking for prescription?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

One thing I will say about those Flak Jackets...THEY ARE TOUGH! I ran a pair over in the machine picture below. After we dug all of the pieces out of the ground, it all popped back together and was as good as new! I was amazed and so was the guy that dropped them.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a good person to ask. I look for cheap, and prefer cheaters built in. Anytime I get expensive ones they are doomed right away. Cheap ones for some reason last and last. Sierra Trading Post usually has good ones at a real good price if you are still bent on a good pair.
il_wi_fishing and bradyb like this.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 AM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

Wow that was quick! I'm definitely seeing you gentlemen and gentle women enjoy shades. No I am not looking for prescription.

Can you tell light transmission just from lens color or is it different between brands? I'll be fishing mostly very low light so I need something with lots of transmission and something to reeeeally make colors pop to help with my hard time with color.

For the record, I am color deficient, basically I see half the color as normal people. Very common 10% of men have it.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 AM

FunkyFlyTying is on a distinguished road

Costa have just released a Sunrise lens here in the UK which is perfect for our murky weather.
I use them and find them superb.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy2222 View Post
What's the best fishing sunglasses, especially for low light conditions and polarized lenses. Looking for opinions so money is no object.

My eyes are horrible (baaaad prescription and colorblind) so I need all the help I can get.
For overcast days, early mornings I wear Costas with the yellow glass lenses. Love them for low light conditions. still get the benefits of polarization but doesn't make everything too dark to see.