The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making a net

The kids group at our church is looking to make fly fishing nets as a project this year. The leader is trying to figure out a good way to steam and bend the wood for the nets. I'm wondering if folks on here have done it and/or know of good ways to go about this project? There would be a number of kids doing it at once, so they want a way they can do together.

For nets, on the web I've found a number of places that sell bags, anyone have a favorite?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a net

William: Take a look at this article on building a custom fishing net frame:
Custom Fly Fishing Landing Net Construction - "How to build a custom wood fly fishing landing net"

For the net I would go with a ghost net replacement bag, the rubber netting is so much nicer when trying to remove fishing hooks, the hook almost fall out of the bag. Ghost Bags

Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I made my own stream net recently. I just cut the shape out from a board of birds eye maple. One piece no breaks, or bending, used a jig saw. Drilled the holes on the sides and sewed the net in. Very satisfying landing fish with a net you made.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by noreaster; 10-17-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Mcnerney, thanks for the links. I hadn't found the first link on my searches. It's a helpful one. I agree with the ghost bag suggestion.

Noreaster, that's a great looking net! Could be a good option and would avoid the need to bend the wood for the nets. Kids could pick their net shape.

Thanks for the suggestions!
noreaster likes this.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

We didnt build nets, but we did build snowshoes in scouts previously, we did it with PVC and used hot sand poured via a funnel into the PVC and then set the pvc in a mold to make the bends, when the sand cools, the PVC stiffens up and is solid.

I bet you could use this method to build inexpensive net frames also if you were so inclined.

Here is the video that we saw that got us started.

I suspect you could use dowels in a board to do the bends, and I think if you put caps on the ends, the pvc net would float.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 PM

Thanks for posting that video. Whether or not we use it for net building, that's a great project.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Noreaster made a beautiful looking net, but there's a reason why trout nets are steam bent and laminated...... they're much stronger that way
Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Noreaster made a beautiful looking net, but there's a reason why trout nets are steam bent and laminated...... they're much stronger that way
Thanks, I think...
To make a tougher one piece net, notice I left about a half inch of wood for the frame. Many laminates are about a 1/4 inch. The net I made has no flex in the frame and I have used it as a priest (club) on a number of occasions. Birds eye maple is one of the densest and strongest of our native hardwoods.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

To steam the wood, I made a 1'x1'x5' box with a lid and a hole in the bottom, just out of 1/4" plywood, and set a tea kettle under that.. it worked fine bending the white ash and walnut strips. Thinner is better. Used 2 strips of ash and 3 of walnut

Not sure how many you could do at once though

Hardest thing was making the jig to hold the strips in the shape you wanted for the glue up
Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

To answer your net question, Brodin sells replacement ghost bags. the clear soft rubber ones, for an VERY reasonible price. When I accidently melted my mesh bag with fire I replaced it with a ghost bag and never looked back. i love the thing and it only cost me 15 bucks maybe.
williamhj likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher