The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone using WJ, Fishpond or Patagonia Lumbar/Fanny Packs?

I use the Fishpond guide waist pack. I like it, alright. I really don't wear it much. I don't like to carry around all of that extra weight.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Sling pack convert here. I could never remember what pocket stuff was with a vest.
Sling is easier for rock hopping too. It won't balloon off balance.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

Last few years I used the confluence pack from WJ and loved it. It is probably the most technically well thought out pack design I have found and it was very comfortable and out of the way. My only complaints were that when loaded in the back, it had a tendency to unbalance and pull the front part uncomfortably high. Also, it didnt hold much in the back portion and the loop for attaching a net was awkwardly low so my long handled net would sometimes swing around.

This year I went to the Simms Headwaters hip pack, this has a little more storage space as a pack and is working well for me. Because the older design didnt attach to a backpack I modified the neck strap to clip onto my Dry creek backpack so i have a comfortable chest pack and waterproof backpack combo for the longer days on the water. If I dont need the extra capacity I just use it as a hip pack which works perfectly also. So far its the most comfortable pack Ive used.

I tried the fishpond waterdance lumbar pack but I found it too big and cumbersome. For me, I would rather have my extra goods like water and snacks in a backpack out of the way and my technical things in the front where I can access them instead of having everything in one large pack around my waste, but thats just preference.