The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone using WJ, Fishpond or Patagonia Lumbar/Fanny Packs?

I'm dropping my vest in favor of a lumber/fanny pack. I've looked at packs from WJ, Fishpond & Patagonia.

I'm hoping I can get some first hand intel from some of you on +'s & -'s of what you're using. Why you chose what you did vs. other brands.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone using WJ, Fishpond or Patagonia Lumbar/Fanny Packs?

I am using the Fishpond Waterdance Guide pack. I got it in a shop and it was the one that best suit my needs at the time I needed it. I wanted a good amount of room for storage of fly boxes, cliff bars, and most important bottle holders. Bottle holders for me are a must. I need a spot for my thermos of coffee and water or gatoraid. It is sort of bulky, but it has all the room I need. The pack is well thought out, there is a space for darn near anything you would need. I do wish it had some tie downs underneath the pack to store a layer of clothing or jacket when it gets too hot but, it is what it is. I have put their CS to test once, on the Yellowstone wader duffel and they took real good care of me. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Fishpond.

My bud uses a WJ pack the one that has magnet enclosures, he loves it.

Patagonia has that stealth pack, similar it seems to the Fishpond I own. Looks pretty nice. Of course they have an incredible iron clad warranty, so you really can't go wrong there either.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I use the Patagonia Stealth hip pack and I love it. Plenty of room for all f the essentials when coupled with a good lanyard. I have 4 medium sized boxes in mine, plus some extra stuff lashed t the daisy chain. Holds 2 full size Nalgenes too.

I love it so much I took the time to write a review of it on the Patagonia website

Last edited by thewalker1013; 11-10-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 PM

horseman_37601 will become famous soon enough

i have the same as jaybo41, and i love it. i use it with a fishpond vest, but i tend to carry a lot of "stuff". been know to take a break find a big rock dry rock in the middle of the river, read a book and drink a cold one-

"the ox is slow, but the earth is patience"
Old 11-11-2012, 03:52 PM

cjottawa is on a distinguished road

I had a Amazon.com: William Joseph Confluence Pack: Sports & Outdoors and liked it a lot. Check the Amazon review for photos and a write-up I posted.

The Confluence was a bit large, however, and I've since gone with a Patagonia Stealth Atom sling bag which I highly recommend.

Check out my review of that in the Gear Reviews section.

Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling

Last edited by cjottawa; 11-12-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
I had a William Joseph Confluence chest/backpack and liked it a lot. Check the Amazon review for photos and a write-up I posted.

The Confluence was a bit large, however, and I've since gone with a Patagonia Stealth Atom sling bag which I highly recommend.

Check out my review of that in the Gear Reviews section.

Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling - The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Ditto...my review is up there as well.

I switched to the sling after using a FP Waterdance Guide pack for years. I think the sling holds a little more and definitely more comfortably. The fanny pack, I found, to be awkward when stuffed full. You either have to wear the shoulder strap to support the weight or snug the belt so tight that it makes it a pain to spin around and access the contents.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

dean, I'm with you. That Waterdance pack, as well thought out as it is, certainly is awkward when fully loaded. I started out without the shoulder strap but figured out that it was a must.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I use a Fishpond NIMBUS GUIDE PACK and it would be real hard going back to using a vest. Click Here I have purchased three different Fishpond packs already and the Nimbus is my favorite one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Picked up a Fishpond Westwater sling for foul weather fishing and used it for the first time today. I may be a sling convert after today.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I just ordered a SIMMS Dry Creek pack got it for 75 shipped off ebay. Will update on how I like it once I get it.