The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Keeping Your Feet Warm (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/302324-keeping-your-feet-warm.html)

dennis_t 11-14-2012 04:59 PM

Keeping Your Feet Warm

What is the best socks to keep your feet warm. Went fishing at Taneycomo today, and needless to say my feet were freezing. This only took about 2 hours before I couldn't stand it or feel my feet for that matter. The wife suggested electric socks, but I don't have an extension cord long enough! Would the battery operated socks work? Or, is there another alternative?

Thanks

jcw355 11-14-2012 06:01 PM

Re: Keeping Your Feet Warm

I don't even wear wool socks anymore, I just wear my liner socks and my feet are just as warm. I think the key is to have "room" in your stockingfoot waders. Leaving my wool socks off allows this. It wasn't overly tight to begin with and next pair of wading boots will be 2 sizes bigger than my regular feet size instead of 1 size.

sbreech 11-14-2012 06:18 PM

I wear a pair of Simms sock liners and the heaviest Wigwam (Made in USA) Merino wool socks they make. Inside the my waders (I wear stocking foot breathables year round, with neoprene booties), I usually wear a pair of thermals, a thin flannel long pant, and sweats over those. I stay plenty warm, even in 36 degree waters when the air temp was 9 degrees. I don't tie my boots very tight to make sure I have room for my feet to breathe and not cut off any circulation.

My nose and fingers, however, were quite cold. Also, the eyes on my rod kept freezing up. That sucks.

williamhj 11-14-2012 06:40 PM

When it's really cold I wear two pairs of smart wool socks. One really fits my feet (also use them with dress shoes when it's cold) and the outer pair is thick and soft. Those, with my fleece pants, work well. Feet can get cold but not too bad.

caseywise 11-14-2012 07:21 PM

when i used to wear rubber hip waders, bama socks were the warmest thing that i ever wore;) i would imagine they would work great for stockingfoots:D

http://i36.tinypic.com/2yy9vo3.jpg

you can find them here

Split Tree Dog Supplies

hope this helps.:)

casey

plecain 11-14-2012 07:36 PM

A couple of people have mentioned the 'not too tight' angle.
I got in real trouble in northern Maine on a hunting trip by wearing too many socks (two pair).
My feet were freezing and I was a long way from camp. I sat in what sun there was and removed my boots and took off one of the pairs of socks.
Problem solved - I was fine after that.

mysticm 11-14-2012 07:46 PM

Someone else mentioned about the importance of an air pocket around your feet & boot. I will echo that based on my experience, I fish all year around and used to wear a polypro liner sock + wool hiker pair inside my stocking foot waders (inside the wading boots).
I would routinely get very cold feet & was getting frustrated when after reading about winter hiking in some of the outdoor forums, I decided to try wearing just the wool hiker socks (one pair). Surprisingly this resolved my problem and I rarely get cold feet anymore.
If you prefer wearing the liner + wool sock combo, go with a larger sized boot. This will allow you to still maintain a layer of air (warmed from body heat) between your sock'd foot and the boot.

fredaevans 11-14-2012 07:48 PM

Several threads like this going on at the moment, here and in the UK.

Here on the Rogue River the water temp will run between 52 to 56 degrees year round. Air temp is, can be, quite a different thing.

1. 6 months = silk sock liners and SealSkin booties ... we'll come back to that.

2. 6 months = silk sock liners, light knee high wool sock and SealSkin booties.

Tight boots are a no-no, but the real no-no is sweat, yes you read that right. Even on a cold day the average male will 'sweat' close to a quart to a liter of water. You can't stop it, it is just who we are.

And your feet sweat, trust me even as you're sitting in front of your lap top your feet are sweating. Soooooo water against cold water = cold feet.

Been doing this for years and other the odd one off (get out of the water and stomp around to kick in body heat) you do # 1 or #2 above and your gold.

Why? The silk under sock wicks away the water (aka sweat) into the inner lining of the SS's. They move it out/away from your feet. Not unusual to find the inner's dry as bone and the exterior of the SS's to be damp.

Guys, drop a few bucks, you'll find I'm right. Get the 'sweat' away from your feet.

'Doctor Evans'
;)

jcw355 11-14-2012 08:31 PM

Fred, care to share where you get your socks?

fredaevans 11-14-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw355 (Post 498615)
Fred, care to share where you get your socks?

First set I couldn't tell you; the second set off of Amazon.com. Still using the first set, save for fitting, never used the 'back up.' They are that well put together.

fae