The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Towee Rivermaster

I'm curious how many people here own a Towee boat. Impressions of this boat? I ask because I'm going to be searching for a new boat to float some shallow rivers and some Mississippi River backwaters. I've been in one just one time, but thought it was a nice little ride for the money. If you have one, what kind of water do you use it in? Impressions of how it rows? How does it handle with a small motor? Any purchasing advice? Any other similar boats you could recommend?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Towee Rivermaster

I took a look at their web site Ted, they look to be a good boat. With a 51" beam stability will not be a problem and the draft under load is good also. The thing to consider when ordering / buying may be transom height. I'm gonna guess you'll use a prop to drive it and the size & type motor will determine the right transom for you.

Although they say you can run up to a 20 hp motor that seems pretty large unless you intend to travel some distances with it. I know from experience that a small motor may seem to be the best choice regarding economy but in the long run a larger motor delivers more mpg for the dollar when you do distances.

One more thought; depending on the places you will go (assuming a motor will be added), while a steel prop will chew its way through weeds I used to knock a prop off or at least break a shear pin every other year using a very similar craft back east. When you look at / consider a gas motor think about whether or not that motor can be fit with a jet drive. An outboard jet can be had down to 15 horse sizes I believe and while they are harder on fuel they give you some security in that you don't have to worry about knocking off a prob on rocks. A jet will suck up weeds and muck f you get yourself into low water and stop but they will also allow you to glide right over 4.5 inches of water if your boat will draft that low. They allow you to reach places that the prop guys don't see very often. Each drive has its advantages but I am a jet guy all the way. I run an 18.5 ATEC Sockeye with a 90 hp Honda jet on the transom and that thing will shoot over 3" of water in a pinch. If you only intend to row then drop me a PM and I'll explain how I put together the best rowing boat I've ever had.

I'm not sure if you'll even use a motor but the boats look swell. If you do end up with a motor on the boat you'll discover that the journey is as much fun as the trip when you are back home.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Ard, I appreciate all of the info! Chances are it would be a prop drive motor. Trips would be relatively short. Generally speaking, 2-3 miles max most of the time. In your experience, how easy are those smaller motors to remove from the boat? I ask because many of the rivers I would float aren't something a motor would be feasible. However, small lakes and backwaters are, and that is why the flexibility to switch between rowing and motor power is important to me.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Most small outboards 3.3 - 9.9 hp have 2 simple clamps that attach the motor to the transom. For what you have in mind a little kicker like my 3.3 merc will get you around. I would imagine a 3.5 - 5 horse would push that hull about 10 mph on still water with throttle to spare.

Rowing is another matter, you'll want to set up your oars and rowing seat so that you can row facing the bow while pushing the boat that same direction. I never liked the idea of rowing by pulling the oars and having my back to my progress. A little searching will go a long way when it comes to setup. If the manufacturer does custom setup it may be well worth getting the things donne right by the builder.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM

I'll likely have them outfit it with the rowing frame that they offer which positions you just as you described. I think they also sell the outboards as well, but I'd just as soon save a bit of money and pick up an older used one from the area. I'm surprised to hear that those little kickers move you around so well. That speed is more than sufficient for my needs. It will definitely be the way I go if I do indeed buy one of these boats.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Administrator

The speed I quoted was when used with a 16' boat with 48" beam, very much like you are looking at. It won't push this big river boat that fast but I do use it out at the lake for putting around.