The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By stl_geoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Bass bug storage

If you are fishing from a kayak or wading you can't easily use a tackle box so what do most of you do if you are using bass bugs? I know some guys stick them in their hat but I was thinking of wearing a vest and using a fly box with containers large enough to hold a large bass fly without crunching it. Can't find anything.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bass bug storage

This is where people put them....

A DIY Cliff Beast Fly box
mcnerney and stl_geoff like this.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Your basic plastic Plano lure box is 8.25" X4.25" and will fit in a vest pocket or you can stick one down the front of your waders
I use the ones with 5 compartments. Cheap at W*lmart.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Try getting that 3mm foam from a craft store and glue 2 pieces together...cut to your preferred size and the attach to the top of your kayak. Double sides sticky tape works well and can be removed when you take off the fly patch.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Try getting that 3mm foam from a craft store and glue 2 pieces together...cut to your preferred size and the attach to the top of your kayak. Double sides sticky tape works well and can be removed when you take off the fly patch.
I like that idea !
Kinda like this fly patch that I have on the dashboard of my truck, held on with a pair of Velcro dots

Click the image to open in full size.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

On my budget I think I like the clear plastic boxes at Joann's Fabrics and glue some foam to the top and bottom. I had thought about this before but figured there wasn't any type of glue that would bond foam to a poly plastic type box. What glue do you use???
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

for other boxes I have used Gorilla glue.. only thing is you need to keep it pressed down with a book or other heavy object as the glue expands.. I also hear double sided tape works well..
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post

They have 6mm foam at Joane's
Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I used the spray adhesive that i used to glue the foam together with. One of scrap pieces I got and slotted and it hangs out on the console of my truck and it currently inhabited with a few flies.
itchmesir likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM

I need to remember this inside the car patch idea.. usually it's my driver side door or trunk just filled with flies I clipped off throughout the year..