The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Interesting idea for you folks who use 'Beads' for 'Bait.'

Interesting new take on threading beads on leaders, you can even 'make flies' with this thing. Hevi-Beads™ - Revolutionary!

You could probably do a passable job with a (fly) bodkin threader, a box of rubber bands and a trip to a sewing bead shop? That aside, the beads here have a major 'cool factor.'
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Interesting idea for you folks who use 'Beads' for 'Bait.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
You could probably do a passable job with a (fly) bodkin threader, a box of rubber bands and a trip to a sewing bead shop?
Yup, when I use beads, this is exactly what I use
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Interesting idea for you folks who use 'Beads' for 'Bait.'

Didn't think my idea had to be original Dave, and you've just proved that.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

As soon as i saw this I was very interested... However in PA these are illegal and any fish hooked on the outside of the mouth must be released. The only way I could use them is if I put them on the hook somehow... Of course I dont think that makes sense because when a fish eats an egg they swallow it and the hook may do internal damage to the fish. I would rather have the fish get hooked on the outside of the mouth rather than internally where the hook may not be retrieved... I think Im going to buy these and figure something out. If all else fails ill use them in Alaska next time I go up
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Interesting nrp. So a trailer hook on a fly (part of its normal construction) would be a 'no-no?' Thinking patterns like the Intruder, Waddington Shanks, many tube flies, etc. Here in the PNW we also had such a regulation but that was changed several years back to hook any where 'north of the gill plate.'

Fred
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
I would rather have the fish get hooked on the outside of the mouth rather than internally where the hook may not be retrieved...
I like circle hooks for just that reason. On stuff where they have a chance to completely devour something before I know they are there I try and always use them. It takes a bit of mental adjustment to stop hook setting but it saves a lot of fish.

It's not fly fishing but, I used to fish Lake Sturgeon a ton. Little Walleye would pick up bait off the bottom and just give the rod tip a tiny wiggle. You had to assume it was a Sturgeon because that's all they do a lot of the time. I'd give it the big Sturgeon hookset and here would be this poor little Walleye about half turned inside out. I went home with limits of tiny Walleye I had accidentaly assasinated. I switched to circle hooks and dropped the dead Walleye down to nearly zero. If there is an offset in the hook, remove it with pliars. Offsets are for selling but don't help. It actually makes them less safe for the fish.

I also figured out how to catch Sturgeon on a fly. Yes, zero bait. I also tie those flies on circle hooks for the same reason.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
As soon as i saw this I was very interested... However in PA these are illegal and any fish hooked on the outside of the mouth must be released.
Illegal in NH, too.

Snagging is illegal and is defined: "Snagging, snatching, or lifting: The taking or attempting to take of any fish by foul hooking; that is, hooking the fish in any part of the body other than inside the mouth."

And: "Any fish accidentally snagged must be immediately released to the water."

Not a problem if you're catching and releasing, anyway.
For some reason I seem to snag more brown trout than any other kind, even using a single fly.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default I Know I Should Not Do This But....................

If I were fishing for trout with a fly rod I would like to use something like this.
Click the image to open in full size.

If they were not feeding on the surface because of cold weather one of these would be cool.

Or even one of these these;

Of course there may be days when I may not catch as many fish as I would were I to carry a bag of plastic beads, floats, and weights, but I always seem to have caught enough to satisfy the idea that fly fishing with hand tied flies and streamers was pretty effective and fun. I guess at heart I may have a tendency toward tradition or perhaps art, or maybe it's just that I wanted to be a little different. I don't know what made me want a fly rod all those years ago. I was catching plenty of fish using my little St. Croix Ultra Light spinning rod and my Eagle Claw Golden Eagle reel (I still have the reel) but something about fly casting & tying drew me in.

It didn't take long to find that some days I may be able to catch more fish with bait than I was catching on flies. However that was more closely related to my skills as a fly fisherman than it was to the shortcomings of the fly. Back then I carried the old spinning rig along for when I gave in to the need to prove myself. As the years passed I became more serious about wanting to be more than someone who carried a fly rod when fishing but would do whatever it took to catch a fish. It was then that I began to learn how to catch fish consistently using hand made artificial flies that imitated insects and forage fishes that trout eat every day. Perhaps that is why I shake my head when I hear stories about beads and 'nymph rigs'.

Everyone has heard the Old Wives Tale, that fly fisherman are an elite bunch who look down their noses at other ways and means of fishing. For me that ideology came and went, it was however replaced by a certain subliminal scorn held for the use of non traditional paraphernalia attached to the leader which is attached to a fly rod. This I can not change and I know it will not subside with time as did my disdain for 'hardware fishermen'. I see a person using spinning gear and lures / bait as a person who has made a choice regarding how they fish. People who make choices are to be respected, at least that's how I feel about it when it comes to fishing. When I see a person using other than traditional fishing flies and tackle (an outline of which can be found described in writings spanning more than 530 years) I see someone who is still worried that he or she may not be able to catch a fish by fly fishing. There may be or will be, days when you may not catch a fish without indi rigs or beads but it is those days set before you that you are to ponder & figure out 'why'. That day is the time of actual advancement if you reflect on the happenings and conditions and strive to understand 'why' you were not successful. If you learn this game by always doing whatever the herd is doing so that you have the best possible chance of feeling that trout struggling on that taunt line you may be missing the very heart and soul of what it means to be a fly fisherman.

Of course I could go on, there is every possibility that some have read what I said and completely disagree with my opinion; my thoughts. They can not be altered, not even by a run of fish-less days. I use those days my friend, and I use them well, so that when I have fit all the pieces of the puzzle together and have one of those days that many dream of I can say, that happened because I learned to fly fish.

Ard

The fish was dead when the picture taken, it was killed and eaten. That smile was a matter of pride, no weight and a traditional wet fly presented in the current with my fly rod. It took a life time but I figured out how to do it with consistency. BTW, I don't post many pictures of fish but I thought the one above would help to give relevance to my words.
imxer, mcnerney, Guest1 and 2 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

If the bead is close to the hook (like I mentioned about 1" to 1.5") - the fish is hooked inside the mouth, in the lip, just like a normal fly. I've never had one gut hooked either. I'm sure some are hooked outside the mouth, but the vast majority, are hooked normally.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I use beads along with yarn eggs, nymphs and streamers for Steelhead and Trout. Beads are just another "fly" at the end of your tippet. They are type of plastic just like EP Fibers, Flastabou, Estaz Chenille and Mcfly Foam along of dozens of other synthetic materials. So I am still "fly-fishing" when using beads.

As far as foul hooking with beads, it happens no more than when fishing with a nymph or a yarn egg or any other fly. I have caught dozens of Steelhead and Trout with beads. It is very rare to catch one with the hook stuck on the outside of the mouth. Its no more "snagging" than using a nymph. The fish actively decides to take the bead.

As for this system. Its just another way to "peg" the bead to the line. I use Jelly cord already cut to size. I produce no scrap or waste. With this system I can see lots of little bits of rubber band being left around the stream. Also more "stuff" is required to haul around while fishing. So to me the "pegging" end of it is not any better but worse than what I do now.

As far as adding feathers and what ever to make a "fly". More stuff to lug around on the river. Feathers, flash and whatever else you need to make a fly. More waste left at the river. Why not make up your fly ahead of time and leave all the waste and tools at home.

Interesting system, but I'll stick to what I do now as I don't see any advantage worth carting all the extra stuff around.