The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM

bigfoot158 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Colorado XT Pontoon

Nice info Mojo I am listening contently. lol U asked many question so I will go in order lol. I am worth the 1699.00 but only if I can justify it to the misses. I got the 1200lb rating at Cabela's: Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.. Which might be a misprint. I liked what you said about the sand never would have consider that as a problem. I want to stay with the frame models because I am a metal worker so modifying the boat will be easy for me. Plus I live in Ohio mostly will be running lakes and a couple small rivers maybe class 1. When on the lake for the weekend I will have at least 6 fishing poles with me. The frameless models dont offer enough fishing pole room for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot158 View Post
When on the lake for the weekend I will have at least 6 fishing poles with me. The frameless models dont offer enough fishing pole room for me.
On my Rampage I use the Scotty glue on rod holders, currently I have two attached. See this thread to see how Joni set hers up.
Pimped my ride

Larry

Larry
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Cool ride but i dont think i can glue six to it lol.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

6 rods?
Joni usually takes 4, I usually take 3. One loaded with floating, one with intermediate, one with type II/III (depends on what part of the season it is) and or one with type V or VII, depending on the depth of the water. Plus extra spools with other lines d/c or wet cell full sinkers. Rio has a new lake line out called In Touch. No stretch.....
I can see 3 or 4 but 6?
Scotty glue on and Scotty tree. We put this on this past summer.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the pictures and the reminder of Joni's "Pimp My Ride" thread.
I just ordered the Scotty glue on rod holder set up for my Assault.
I am more of a Minimalist, so this is the first add-on I have decided on.
I plan to add some D rings and a hard or soft platform on the front of this boat also to act as a shelf to place some overnight camping gear and hopefully my soon to be fishing partner/dog (Cocker Spaniel- Poodle mix)
Molly. She should fit nicely up front.

I would also agree that the bladder-less system is a great way to go and these tubes are tuff. The Susquahanna, Delaware and Lehigh rivers were all very low this summer and I floated over rocks and gravel with no hesitation.
I don't have a toon like the Colorado, but always hear the subject of wind resistance come up when discussed, so I would think hard about that aspect...a motor would fix that though I supose.
Lastly, 6 rods...! Now that is some serious fishing going on there.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 AM

I dont want a boat for just paddling I want a fishing machine. With that said I need 2 poles for bass 2 for crappie that i use minnows on 2 for catfish and when i say catfish I mean the 20 lb to 100 lb range. lol thanks for the picture that is something to consider there. I would only need 2 of them one for each side.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
How much are you worth? J/K.
Bladderless toons are going to be all surviving kickboat/tube manufacturers main selling points as are being frameless 10 years from now. My New Years prediction. Denier rating on pcv coated vinyl- does it exist. Denier is usually nylon or yarn thickness if I recall.
We've had bladderless kickboats for a few years now. Have had no problems, unlike we did with bladdered ones. Vinyl bladders are at the bottom of the list and the cheapest bladder. The newer vinyl is much better than the vinyl of a few years back. Then you have the urethane bladdered toon's/ tubes. Better than vinyl. Little pinholes seem to pop up no matter how careful you are. Most leaks come from a little grain of sand that gets between the skin and the bladder. It sits and slowly works a hole in the bladder.
Look for a used one (X5) you should be able to find one for a grand. That will hold it's value there for a few years.
And the reason you're looking at a X5 is the capacity? The Renegade is frameless, 9' long with an 800 lb. capacity. The X5 Outlaw is 10 1/2' and a 1000 lb. capacity (not the 1200 you mentioned)
The Renegade sells for $999. With the shows coming up, you might want to find one and check them out for yourself.
Any questions pm me.
Alan

This is just not fair.

Many people use these less expensive boats every day without dying and with very little problem.

One day I will own an NFO, but until that day I'll fish my $200 toon on lakes and even the waters off puerto penasco without worry of dying.

Are the NFO boats better? I'm sure they are, but my cheapo creek company toon and served me just fine for 2 years and I've never felt in danger.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 PM

I have been looking a Nucanoe also and the more I look at the candy the more cornfused I get. All these boat have pros and cons now which will work for a fisherman and child that cant yet control her rods. The pontoon type I dont know if a hook would puncture the boat or not seems it would where the nucanoe I dont think would. Setup time is shorter with the nucanoe vers the toons. The fun on both are equal. lol Just a matter of how much it will cost me.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
This is just not fair.

Many people use these less expensive boats every day without dying and with very little problem.

One day I will own an NFO, but until that day I'll fish my $200 toon on lakes and even the waters off puerto penasco without worry of dying.

Are the NFO boats better? I'm sure they are, but my cheapo creek company toon and served me just fine for 2 years and I've never felt in danger.
Sure they do. But I've known two people with the Creek Co. kickboats have them break (not in the same year, one this year, one last). The frames broke and one guy lost all his gear. The other guy was closer to shore and was able to get in quickly. Thin metal frames that rust through and break. You could probably own the thing for 10 years and nothings going to happen. Just inspect your frame and especially check for cracks at the welds. Face it, made in China to keep costs down, thin metal frames, vinyl bladders, built for the masses. $200 for a kickboat, hope you never have any problems. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting what they want. I didn't mean to come across as battering cheap kickboats. But I've had the cheap ones and good ones. There is a hell of a difference. Just be safe and wear a pfd.

Last edited by mojo; 01-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

I had a Colorado Xt Pontoon, It is a decent bottom end/ middle of the road pontoon. One thing I've discovered I'll never own another that doesn't have some type of floor under my seat/feet. Not for standing but for catching everything I drop. If you look at the pontoon everything you drop goes into the water and is gone forever. I've lost way too many flies, tools, ect from dropping them.