The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Colorado XT Pontoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot158 View Post
I have been looking a Nucanoe also and the more I look at the candy the more cornfused I get. All these boat have pros and cons now which will work for a fisherman and child that cant yet control her rods. The pontoon type I dont know if a hook would puncture the boat or not seems it would where the nucanoe I dont think would. Setup time is shorter with the nucanoe vers the toons. The fun on both are equal. lol Just a matter of how much it will cost me.
I did puncture my Assault once. I was spin fishing and using a size 4 hook. The fish slammed the side with the hook hard enough to puncture. However, I didn't notice the leak for a few days. I store my boat in the garage inflated. After a few days I noticed a little sag in the toon. I took it outside and sprayed it with soapy water. Sure enough I saw a little bubble emerge.
It had to be a hook point that was able to make it all the way through, but so tiny that a dime sized patch fixed it and has not leaked since. The fact that there is no internal seperate bladder made the fix easy and took about 2 minutes. I was actually very suprised a hook point was able to make it through and if I had been fly fishing, I can't imagine any hook large enough to get the right angle to make a run at a puncture. I still think it was a case of the right angle at the right time with enough force to get the point in that far. The material is very thick and hard. I have caught a lot of fish in this boat with no other problems. So, punctures do not worry me, as I have run over a ton of river stones and rocks.

I did find that I take care and take my time when tying on new flies and such...as said, there is no floor. Fortunately I have a lap and position loose gear I am using acordingly.

Does the Nu-Canoe have any scuppor holes or drainage? In my yak or Assault any waves that come over the bow, the water does not stay in the boat. My canoe...I have to get to shore to flip it or use a spounge to get the water out. This can get annoying if you are in water with a lot of standing waves or it rains. Rain is an all day battle if it starts soon after you launch and your take out is miles down river.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM

bigfoot158 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiff View Post
Does the Nu-Canoe have any scuppor holes or drainage?
Yes it does 2 of them in the rear of the boat.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot158 View Post
Yes it does 2 of them in the rear of the boat.
That is a Big Plus in my opinion. Scupper holes are an important feature if I was looking for a new ride. Wish my canoe had them, but then it would just sink.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM

bigfoot158 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiff View Post
That is a Big Plus in my opinion. Scupper holes are an important feature if I was looking for a new ride. Wish my canoe had them, but then it would just sink.
A big thanks for all the info from all of you. I have decided to buy a Nucanoe.