The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Recommendation for a Sling Pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
i bought one of these. Holds all my fly boxes (about 7) as well as some other odds and ends.
The reason i bought this is because i believe the 'big brand' bags are way overpriced for what you get. A bag with a name on it. This on has no name and works just as well
This is it customized with TFM patch
Click the image to open in full size.
S Fontinalis, I saw your post and ordered one for myself. It came yesterday and I really like it! Much more room than I thought I would get. Thanks for the suggestion. I have used an Old Navy nylon shoulder bag for a few years and it has reached the point of no return...it was my daughter's and she gave it to me as a fly fishing bag. It worked great, but I can't find another that is the same. Thanks again..!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I just came back from the USA and I bought an Orvis "Save Passage Sling Pack". In my opinion a really nice pack for warm summer days, when I do not want to carry too much equipment with me. It is also very easy to handle, comfortable to wear and is well made.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL TIPPS!!
jaybo41 and shotgunfly like this.

THORSTEN
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
i bought one of these. Holds all my fly boxes (about 7) as well as some other odds and ends.
The reason i bought this is because i believe the 'big brand' bags are way overpriced for what you get. A bag with a name on it. This on has no name and works just as well
This is it customized with TFM patch
Click the image to open in full size.
Does this bag work as a "sling type?" Meaning, can you rotate the bag around so it is out of the way when you are fishing?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

I have used mine twice now. I made a modification by cutting off the inside nylon closure top with draw string. It is a shoulder bag and you can swing it around to your back. After moving around, it does work its way back to your side. I don't notice it is there, but by habit, I toss it to my back after accessing. I am not sure about "Sling Type', since I never bought an Official fly fishing specific bag. The last few years I have been using my daughter's black nylon Old Navy shoulder bag. She got it for $10 and gave it to me when i said it would be a perfect fishing bag. I have looked for another, but they don't seem to make that design any more.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I saw that the sling packs which were made/designed as a sling pack have the advantage that the zippers are exactely in a horizontal position if you move the pack in front of you. Some other packs which I thought to use as a sling pack did not show this advantage and it could become difficult to open tha packs and some items could fall out too.

THORSTEN
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM

rockriv is on a distinguished road

Simms is a favorite for me. The Dry Creek to be exact. Mostly water resistant and big enough for 3 boxes of flies and a bottle of water. can change from waist pack to sling pack.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 AM

ruud is on a distinguished road

Novice question here: What do you guys use to keep your camera and phone dry? I'm afraid a sling pack is not safe enough.

Ruud
Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud View Post
Novice question here: What do you guys use to keep your camera and phone dry? I'm afraid a sling pack is not safe enough.

Ruud
I believe that patagonia is redoing their packs with a newer "T" zipper that make the bag submersible proof. No sling pack on the market is yet waterproof when submersed.

I keep my iPhone in a LIFEPROOF iphone case. It works, I've taken underwater shots with it and video.

As for camera I leave the canon 7d at home most times (unless the section I will fish is small and there is plenty of banks to shoot off of), and I opt to take my Olympus Tough TG-2. It has a fast 2.0 lens for lo light shooting. Does great.

I have the Orvis sling pack (not the ridiculously huge one), but if Patagonia makes their back submersible I'll get one and take the Canon out more...but I'll still drop it in a seal waterproof bag.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

A few improvements for the Orvis sling pack:

reverse the direction you pull the strap to tighten it. IMO, it should be pulled UP not down to tighten it. Pulling up seems more natural, especially if you're doing it one handed and would make it easier to tighten the load down. Tightening down, for me requires 2 hands (1 for the pack and 1 for the strap) to get it really tight.

add more tarpaulin places to thread a zinger. Fishpond does this RIGHT with tons of them everywhere. It would make sense to put a few on the strap that goes across your chest

get rid of the magnetic hemostat pocket

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice on the iphone case. I am going to check out the Lifeproof case.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Saved a lot of money with purchase of Magellan sling pack. Carries my lunch, water, boxes and everything else needed for a successful day on the water. Very well made and my friend who has the Orvis wishes I had brought first so he would have known and saved money. Academy stores sell them down here. Goggle them.