The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Recommendation for a Sling Pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Saved a lot of money with purchase of Magellan sling pack. Carries my lunch, water, boxes and everything else needed for a successful day on the water. Very well made and my friend who has the Orvis wishes I had brought first so he would have known and saved money. Academy stores sell them down here. Goggle them.
I just did a search on these and found them at Academy. The description is just a little vague, as it says fits 2 small utility boxes. "Small utility boxes" depending on who you are could be huge to someone else. Or could be really tiny to another. You mention that you carry water, lunch and boxes in yours.
I carry about 3 small fly boxes and 2 Altiods tins with flies in the main compartment. Again this is itself is vague, but you find plenty of room for stuff or do you have to minimize when you use this?
Just trying to get an idea.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Do you think the Magellan sling pack is as well made as the 'name' brand sling packs ? I just was looking at them,,and they look well thought out for sure. Maybe better thought out than any of the others I've seen. Considering one,,,depending on if they are well constructed for the long haul.

Thanks

Michael
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

See my review of the Orvis Guide Sling Pack. Great pack, I'm sure you will love it. If you are looking for something smaller and don't carry much gear, consider one of the other Orvis slings. All top quality, all great.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

I've just got back from Belize with my Orvis is sling. Fantastic. Very impressed. Much better than my waist pack. Carried plenty for wading from the the boat. Quality is great, many useful features. Highly recommended.
nick k likes this.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Ordered this one. If it doesn't work out, I'm gonna get the Orvis Guide. But this seems to be well made and good value at 25 dollars.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 PM

jdfly is on a distinguished road

I love my Orvis safe passage sling pack. I'm pretty minimalist when I go out but this sling carries all I need. I can manage to have enough room for two decent sized boxes, all my essentials and a small bottle of water and a few things for a small lunch. I agree with the other comment regarding another attachment point or two for keepers/zingers. That's all I I can say I would improve, overall, I love the pack!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 PM

losthwy is on a distinguished road

After looking at the Fishpond and the Patagonia I got the Simms. It's large, can hold a regular sized Nal bottle (stores it inside the pack). Big enough to hold a large water bottle, rain jacket, 4 fly boxes, camera, and lunch. Pros- large stiff loop pulls, padded strap, D-ring for net, magnetic strips at accessories, work area.

Con- wish the front strap had a Velcro strap to keep the clamp secure (has a place for retractor).