The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Recommendation for a Sling Pack?

Hello,

I am thinking to buy a sling pack for summer fishig when it is too hot for wearing a vest. I could imagine that it is very practically to move the bag quickly and easily on my back so that it don´t disturb during fishing. Does anybody have some experience with these bags and could give a recommendation?

THORSTEN
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Recommendation for a Sling Pack?

i bought one of these. Holds all my fly boxes (about 7) as well as some other odds and ends.
The reason i bought this is because i believe the 'big brand' bags are way overpriced for what you get. A bag with a name on it. This on has no name and works just as well
This is it customized with TFM patch
Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis sling packs have gotten good reviews.

Go to these URLs and click on the reviews.

Fly Fishing Packs / Safe PassageŽ Sling Pack -- Orvis

Fly Fishing Sling Pack / Guide Sling Pack -- Orvis

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the options mentioned which certainly will get the job done, Patagonia has a fishing pack that has gotten some favorable reviews, the Atom Stealth.

Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling

Some of our board members have provided reviews:

Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling

They also make a non fishing specific pack as well. Patagonia's warranty is top notch, though they are pricy.

Patagonia Atom Bag

I recently picked up a Fishpond Westwater Sling and I've been pretty pleased with it so far. I wanted something water resistant for Steelhead fishing and fishing in general in the rain. The ONLY downside to this pack is that it doesn't have any bottle holders, were as the Patagonia Atom Stealth does. There is certainly plenty of room inside the pack for it though. It's one large pocket, with 2 smaller pockets on the inside. It's large enough to fit a jacket, thermos, water bottle and few fly boxes into.

fishpond - WESTWATER SLING

Alternatively, there is another option. You could opt for the waist pack that has a shoulder strap to it, this way you get the best of both worlds. The sling certainly keeps the pack away from interfering with casting. The more I fish with it, the more I like it.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I like the Orvis one I have.. I really would like one of the Patagonia Stealth Atoms.. but they are a pretty penny for sure.. So I'll just stick with what I got
Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'm pleased with my Orvis Sling also. It's got a waist strap in addition to the shoulder sling so it doesn't flop around while rock hopping. It also seems easier for me to find stuff in the one large pocket as always searching the pockets of my vest. Holds lunch too.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Patagonia Stealth Atom sling all the way...switched from the Orvis sling because it had more features and even a water bottle holder.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Some people call it a pack...I calls it a slang pac...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I love the L.L. Bean sling. It's bigger than the Orvis sling, has three compartments, and has a waist belt for heavier loads.

However, the shoulder strap is stiff, when when walking and wearing a light shirt, the strap is very uncomfortable. I taped a neoprene strip onto the strap and that really helped.

Randy
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello Gentlemen,

Many, many thanks for all your answers!!! I did not expect so many replies in such a short time This is really an evidence for the high quality of this awesome forum respectively an evidence for the kindness of the members

I think I will either buy an Orvis pack or the Patagonia pack when I will be in the USA in January.

THORSTEN