The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What vise do I need?

I own a variety of vises, but currently tie on the Renzetti Traveler. I also favor the Anvil Apex. Both are solid vises and within your price range.

I just did a tying demo at a local fly shop and was chided for not using the rotary feature on my Renzetti, but I just don't feel like it saves any time or effort in my tying and I do tie a lot.

Kelly.

P.S.: There are worse "vices" than tying flies... (I just couldn't resist, sorry )
drc likes this.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I "splurged" on renzetti traveler a year ago w/clamp. I added on a catch bag, light and magnifier glass. I'm tying mostly streamers but will start smaller dries this winter. Renzetti is a great small family company right in Florida. Recently ordered the pedestal base to move around the house more. I use the rotary function now and then (mostly tying beards onto Kreelex flies) but I guess you could just take the fly out and invert it. The traveler comes with a swing arm bobbin cradle...that gets used every so often. I'm gonna also start tying some classic salmon patterns for presentation/gifts wall fodder. I'm sure the traveler will do that well too. For me, I haven't seen any reason to upgrade.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Here is a nice little review of 5 vises bewtween $100 - $150.
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._$100-$150.htm
jaybo41 likes this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 12-22-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Thank Goodness we're talking about 'vise,' not 'vice!'

dean_mt likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM

altos is on a distinguished road

Take hooks sized to what you will typically use and go to a good fly shop and try multiple vises. The more you try the better. Rotary is nice but, typically, not a requirement. Net/net: try many, buy one that will last.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

Peak rotary vise is a very good vise and will grasp a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature I find of good necessity when you spin a dubbing loop for flies like seal buggers to hares ear nymphs. If you have a long dubbing loop to wrap on a hook shank this is where a rotary vise shines.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
Peak rotary vise is a very good vise and will grasp a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature I find of good necessity when you spin a dubbing loop for flies like seal buggers to hares ear nymphs. If you have a long dubbing loop to wrap on a hook shank this is where a rotary vise shines.
I too am using a Peak Rotary and have been very pleased with it. If you are tying small, say 16 and below, I'd consider adding the midge jaws. They're much easier to tie small flies with. Great vise for the money with a very sturdy base.

That link dean posted is as solid of a vise review as I've seen for the more commonly used vises and a recommendation that I too steer people to when they're looking for an everyday type of vise. If you can, it's not a bad idea to go to a shop and test them out so you can see how tying on it would be. At the same time, when I chose the Peak, I had my budget set, looked at reviews, made up my mind and pulled the trigger. I have no regrets with this process. I think a vise is something we just adapt to when using it. Sometimes we put too much thought into finding the "perfect vise". Really, if it has good jaws that hold a hook well, fits your budget and has an appearance pleasing to you, it's going to be a good one.

If I were a commercial tier, or presentation tier, I might use some additional logic in purchasing a vise, but for my own personal needs that's what's important.
Mrtrout and kayo like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

The Peak at work with the midge jaw and extender.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...5/P1070216.JPG
jaybo41 and drahcirb like this.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
The Peak at work with the midge jaw and extender.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...5/P1070216.JPG
Kayo, nicely done home made parachute tool!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Although I find a Rotary Vise essential I don't think you have to spend $200,check out eBay as there are some good Vises which are well Priced which will do what you want,like many others I have many Vises,including An Atlas & A Dyna King.
Brian.