The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 AM

drahcirb is on a distinguished road
Default What vise do I need?

I'm just starting to get into fly tying. I am wondering what would be a good vise in the 100 to 200 dollar range. also what kind of options are essential ie bobbin holder?I seen a vise on YouTube that spun the hook. Is this a gimmick? I have a cheap vise right now that has no options and grips the hooks so poorly which makes fly tying no fun.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What vise do I need?

I like having a rotary vise. I sometimes use it to wrap materials but also find it handy for checking all sides of the fly I'm working on. It is not necessary but for 100 - 200 dollars you can get this if you want. If you have a rotary vise, it's helpful to have a bobbin rest. I have a Renzetti Traveler which I like quite a bit. It's stable and easily holds a wide range of hooks securely. They are within your budget.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of really good vices out there in that price range, as William stated the Renzetti Traveler is a very good vice, I have a Peak rotary, they also make a non-rotary vice at a cheaper price point. The rotary function isn't really necessary, but it is nice to be able to quickly look at all sides or a fly or to just rotate the fly to cut material that is on the opposite side. The Peak rotary sells for around $145.
PEAK Fly Tying Vises

Larry

Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

drahcirb,

I've been fly tying for less than six months, but it didn't take me long to know I wasn't going to stick with it if I didn't get a better vise. Wanted to spend as little as possible on a vise, leaving more funds for materials, equipment and fishing.

Bought a used Danvise, which has rotary function (Beginner fly tying) and am very happy with it.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I have the Anvil Apex; love the solid heavy build, U.S. made, one set of jaws for a wide range of hooks, $100.00 retail Here is a review:

Hatches Magazine - Anvil Apex Vise
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

anvil - either apex or my preferred, the Atlas.
wannafish likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

I have multiple friends who use the no name regal type vises off of ebay, 40 bucks and they work just as well, when they wear out after 5 years just get a new one
and these guys tie all classic salmon flies for the most part so they cant have a vise that slips
Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Even though I'm pleased with the Danvise, if I wasn't able to buy it used, I would have purchased the Anvil Apex. Apex advantages over Danvise:
A) comes with both pedestal base and clamp
B) Has more space between jaws and rotating mechanism. You can buy an extension, but then then the package costs more than the Apex.
C) lifetime warranty
wannafish likes this.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:45 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahcirb View Post
I'm just starting to get into fly tying. I am wondering what would be a good vise in the 100 to 200 dollar range. also what kind of options are essential ie bobbin holder?I seen a vise on YouTube that spun the hook. Is this a gimmick? I have a cheap vise right now that has no options and grips the hooks so poorly which makes fly tying no fun.
Thanks
Laughed out loud when I read that. "Dollars to Donuts" (you have to be 'old' to remember that one) its a 'Thompson' clamp sort of thing. Every cheap 'beginners kit' has one inside. God I hated those!

But, back on point. Take a few hooks (sizes you intend to tie) to a GOOD fly shop and try some out with the different hooks. I typically use a HMH and had to buy a second set of 'jaws.' The stock ones will hold a 6/0 4X Shark hook, but a size 12 and down? Not a chance in xxxx, real terms.

Watch the 'classifieds' here, speypages, etc., for used equipment. Not a thing wrong buying good 'second hand.' As for a full rotary? Just my .02 cents but the number of times I use that function over a years time can be counted on my finger tips. Being able to 'rotate' (not spin) IS a good thing.

That's a handy function.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Some of these replies made me laugh, too.

My father, a machinist, built his own vise over 60 years ago. You could have jumped up and down on it without hurting it. The bench would have broken first. Yet, he tied thousands on small flies on it.

I'm going to my mother's today. She lives in the same house. I'll have to look around for it. I'll bet it's still there somewhere.