The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default I'll show you mine .......

Vest, chest pack, sling pack or however you carry your gear that is.

In the Midwest we just got dumped on with 12” of snow and temps aren’t going to be warm enough to fish for the at least the next week without fighting frozen guides.
So, time to clean and organize the gear. I thought it would be an interesting twist on the annual vest vs. pack thread to see pics of what method members use to carry their gear and what they carry. So here are a couple pics of my sling pack.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is what I carry in it:

I like it because I can carry everything I need (actually more than I "need") and it is totally out of the way when not in use. I'd be interested to see what others use.

Rich
bigjim5589 and thorsten like this.

Last edited by fishiowa; 12-23-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I'll show you mine .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
without fighting frozen guides.
As if you didn't have enough stuff, you could add a small can of Pam cooking spray for the guides to help prevent freezing.
fishiowa and shotgunfly like this.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rich

Nice looking setup, very organized. I use an Orvis slingpack, it doesn't appear to hold as many fly boxes as yours, but I have gotten used to it with one box dedicated to dries, one for nymphs/emergers/midges and during the middle of the summer I will throw in a small container of hoppers, spring/fall a small container of streamers.

Larry

Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Mine is not photo worthy but I'm hoping Santa has pitty on me and brings me a nice messenger creel or Filson Strap Vest. As of late I pick one box with enough dries and enough streamers to feel like I'm ok, pack a few spools of tippet in my pocket and go at it. I fish better with a limited number of flies because the less I have the more the ones I do have stay in the water and I can't catch fish while flipping through box after box. This time of year I would have 1 box with enough dry midges and maybe a few cress bugs, PTs, some WWs and sculpins. My tippet and thats it. I'll admit its good to have and not need but in my experience sometimes less is more.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
As if you didn't have enough stuff, you could add a small can of Pam cooking spray for the guides to help prevent freezing.
Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I can find a coat pocket to put that in.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Rich

Nice looking setup, very organized. I use an Orvis slingpack, it doesn't appear to hold as many fly boxes as yours, but I have gotten used to it with one box dedicated to dries, one for nymphs/emergers/midges and during the middle of the summer I will throw in a small container of hoppers, spring/fall a small container of streamers.

Larry
I fish out of the front half. The second zipper is just a security blanket
Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Mine is not photo worthy but I'm hoping Santa has pitty on me and brings me a nice messenger creel or Filson Strap Vest. As of late I pick one box with enough dries and enough streamers to feel like I'm ok, pack a few spools of tippet in my pocket and go at it. I fish better with a limited number of flies because the less I have the more the ones I do have stay in the water and I can't catch fish while flipping through box after box. This time of year I would have 1 box with enough dry midges and maybe a few cress bugs, PTs, some WWs and sculpins. My tippet and thats it. I'll admit its good to have and not need but in my experience sometimes less is more.
I could definitely do with less, my last trip out carried this bag full for 3 hours and fished one fly the whole time. The only fly change was when I broke one off and tied the exact same pattern back on.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:11 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Looks like a Filson, is it the one with a bag on the back too? I've got to get some of those super thin Orvis boxes. Nice.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Looks like a Filson, is it the one with a bag on the back too? I've got to get some of those super thin Orvis boxes. Nice.
Dean,
good call, it started out as a Filson tackle pack. I used the front pack and added my own strap from an Army surplus bag. The back pack and straps are in my misc. box somewhere.
Rich
Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

When I'm walking/wade fishing I'm a minimalist, I hate having a big pack t lug around with me. On my Sling I can have everything I need for a days worth of fishing on just about any river. I will sometimes fill a small box I can fit n my pocket when I need somethign more than my little sling box will hold or if I need bigger patterns that wont fit in it. I can do anything from nymph a small mountain stream to chase Steel on big valley or coastal rivers with my sling on my neck and my net on my back.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You would laugh if you saw all the junk I drag around sometimes. I have taken enough stuff that it takes two trips to get it back to the car. That was seriously loaded up to keep it from being three.

Fall fishing at night is when it tends to be the worst. Bill has a ladder he stands on and casts. We drag all kinds of stuff down there.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Filson dry finish strap vest for me love it looks better with age wish i could post pics must have to be a member for 10 years or ?