The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Good fly tying scissors?

I have a good collection of Dr. Slick scissors but always reach for the Anvil Ice Tempered scissors I got many moons ago for my first upgraded pair of scissors. I like how they feel, cut and hold an edge. The Slicks are all heavy and just feel clumsy to me. I use their hair scissors the most and the tungsten scissors second but it seems 99% of my use is with the Anvils.

A friend gave me a pair of Kershaw scissors that are also very nice but know the best fix... Lock-Tite, peen the end os the screw?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

There are a lot of scissors threads but I read every one of them because it seems I have yet to find the perfect pair! I am currently using the anvil microtip with the curved blade. An added benefit is that I can bend the handle enough to keep them in my hand while I do other things. I cannot do that with other brands. For very fine work I use a pair of Rubis.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

6th Finger scissors from Singlebarbed dot com. Stainless nice big open finger loop, fine point, and a good price.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

There are many good fly tying scissors now. Used to be, we had to make due with cuticle or sewing scissors. The other alternative was surgical scissors, which are very expensive. Any stainless scissor will eventually dull, as stainless, regardless of where it comes from is not a hard metal. However, I'll agree that there are some that will be better than others, and some of those produced in Japan & especially Germany are usually superior to those produced in Pakistan.

Generally, "fly tying" scissors are lesser quality surgical scissors. Those that will not meet the requirements for surgical applications, but are fine for other uses.

Tungsten carbide is a far better choice than stainless as far as staying sharp longer, as it's a much harder metal, but it's also more expensive.

I own about 20 pairs of scissors that I've tried over the many years I've been tying, and I've resharpened many of them. I won't recommend sand paper for sharpening scissors, but that may just be a terminology issue. Emery paper, coated with fine silicon carbide grit will put a fine edge on scissors that are not beat up. If the edge is damaged, then they need to be reground. I've touched up scissors with a fine file too. However, small scissors are not easy to sharpen by hand if you don't understand what it is you're trying to do & I've seen where folks have done more damage to them attempting to sharpen them. It's all about angles.

Dr Slick, Anvil, Griffin, Rubis, Tiemco, Orvis, Kershaw and others all sell good quality scissors so if you use any of the "brand" names you should be fine.

Comfort in using any of them should be a high priority too as has been mentioned. I used a pair of cuticle scissors for awhile many years ago, which had small finger loops & I'll never do that again!

I have a sister who is a beautician, and she has several pairs of pro quality scissors for which she pays over $100 a pair. Look around at surgical scissors, what surgeons use & they're quite expensive too, although that is certainly partially due to who they're being sold to. So in comparison, tying scissors are not expensive.
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

For delicate work like cutting thread, trimming bits and pieces throughout the tie, I use cuticle scissors (Revlon, etc) bought in the "fingernail" section of most any drug/walmart/whatever store. The blades are far thinner than any designated "fly tying" scissors I've seen, allowing you to snip much closer to your work. I snitched my first pair from my dearly departed mom about 40 years ago...still using them! As with so many things, they don't make 'em like they used to!
Gary

P.S. they cost about 10 bucks.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Miltex iris , and Rubis also sold by Pettijean the CDC guru are some of the best, quality. That I have used ,you need 2 or more pair for different work . Remember heavy thread will create edge nicks just as wire. Info from a man who makes his living ,sales and sharpening for hair salons in 3 states. If you like I can offer Japanese handmade shears up to $4500.00 , I know this sounds crazy but real.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
If you like I can offer Japanese handmade shears up to $4500.00 , I know this sounds crazy but real.
Yup, my butthead ex is a cosmetologist. She's got a pair that cost more than the car I had when I met her.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-30-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Yup, my butthead ex is a cosmetologist. She's got a pair that cost more than the car I had when I met het.
I see them every day, but no scissor is worth over $1000., the best blade steel being made today is ATS 314 I sale them far under $1000.00
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Rubis also sold by Pettijean
Is that a fact? I looked at both and saw the Rubis were a lot less expensive. Rubis also didn't seem to have the range of scissors that Petitjean has.
I've always admired the Petitjean scissors but the price scared me away.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Tried most, and finally settled on my favorite, the Anvil Midge scissors, curved or straight. They were the easiest for me to hold while I tie.
mcnerney likes this.