The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 PM

drahcirb is on a distinguished road
Default Good fly tying scissors?

Hi
I'm new to fly tying and need some recommendations on a good pair of fly tying scissors. I had lots of help on here selecting a good tying vise so I'm back for more great feedback! I tie mostly smaller trout flies and was thinking of the anvil 50-a. What do you think/use?
Thanks
Richard
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good fly tying scissors?

I use Dr. Slick. All purpose are a good place to start. Their arrow scissors are great for fine work.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have Dr. Slick scissors also. If you look around you can probably get them on sale right now being year end, and time for new models. But if you can't get them on sale they are still worth it.

Or you could get something like this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-PURPOSE-...item3f1e79b655
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Mine came in a kit. I have Dr. Slick scissors. I also got some arrow point bass pro brand that was fine as well. Shop around because they can be costly.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Dr. Slick Razor Sissors, 4 inch, and Rubis micro tip sissors for fine work.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using a pair of sixth finger scissors for a few years and really enjoy how they feel in the hand and how they cut.
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Singlebarbed Sixth Finger Scissors
littledavid123 likes this.

Larry
Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

If you want a good scissor buy forged , but you will pay more. Anvil is a good brand. Dr Slicks are stamped or cast steel made in Pakistan. Quality of steel from Pakistan is poor quality. For the best Quality hand forged from Japen or Germany . Scissors for cutting hair needs to have 1 corrugated blade as to trap the hair to cut.it doesn't, need to have a corrugated blade to cut other material.Tying scissor can be easly sharpened with the use of sandpaper on a flat surface. Sharpen in one direction only creating a bur on the inside edge of the scissor, use of a magic marker to mark the edge of the scissors so you can see when you have removed the metal evenly. After creating a even burr on the inside edge hold the scissor in one hand put pressure with the other by the tips to separate the blades as you close so not to cut into the to the burr after you have closed the scissor this way ,open the scissor will force the burr to the side now cut a paper towel to remove the burr. 1500 grit sandpaper will give a finer edge . 500 grit will give a corse edge much as a corrugated edge.
littledavid123 and coug like this.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good thread!

Billyspey: Do you have recommended brand names of these German or Japan scissors? Also, wouldn't it be easier to take the scissors apart and then sharpen?

Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Dr Slick, Anvil, or any dissection scissors are good.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Anvil! Did I mention Anvil.