The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Wading Boot Sizing

Am I nuts or just way off base.

I wear a 10 1/2 street shoe and was always told buy a size up for neoprene wader booties. Last year I bought the Simms G4 guide boots in a 12 and with waders they are great. With waders and thick wool socks they were snug but warm.

The problem was during the summer when I wet wade primarily using only the Simms gravel guard socks they were way to big. Like so big I had chaffing and water blisters from my toes having so much freedom of movement.

I am thinking of getting a wet wading pair of boots in a right sized 11 and keeping the size 12 for when I wear waders.

Am I on crack just dreaming up reasons to poor more money in to the sport I love, or have any of you ran in to this ?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Boot Sizing

Well you might be on crack, but that's not for me to decide

I have experienced the same thing, though I didn't get blisters. I wear a 12 Simms boot sized up 1 size from my normal shoe. Same gravel guard socks for wet wading and my feet were moving around more than I liked. Same two socks that I wear with my waders. Those gravel guards are not the same thickness of the neoprene on the waders.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

You might have to. For wet wading I usually just use a water shoe. On the rare occasion that use my wading boots wet wading I have a pair of neoprene booties like my wader feet and they are a touch loose but alright.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I wear a size 11 street shoe, but use either size 12 or 13 Korkers (12 for summer, 13 for winter)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I wear a 10 street shoe, and a 10 in Korkers lol I can fit my neoprene, and my good hiking socks just fine. Nice fit for my foot and no discomfort.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Am I on crack ?
Maybe you are. I bought Cabelas wading boots for my Simms waders and they told me get the same size boot as I do street shoes. They adjust for the waders. I wear a 10 and bought 10's. They are a perfect fit. It sounds like you need to stuff to get the 12's to fit the waders. Just remember, crack is whack.

Could there be a more perfect smiley for 'crack is whack'?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

same boat. I'm a ten and a half street shoe. I wore a simms 12 for a while and it was comfortable on the larger size with booties and wool socks but not even close to being an option for wet wading with thin neoprene socks. Now I'm wearing a simms 11 and it fits with my waders (comfortable snug) and wet wading is a-ok but they're too tight too be comfortable on those cold days where you want a couple pairs of socks and good circulation.

I guess my long winded point is that two pairs of boots being reasonable isn't so far fetched.
Three is even better. Also it gives you a chance to sanitize/freeze/dry boots when moving between river systems.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I use the same gravel guard socks for wet wading with a size 12 boot. When I wear waders and socks I wear a size 13 boot. So either you need two sizes of boot and are not just looking for an excuse to buy more stuff or I am on crack too:-)
Rich
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

When I get new boots, I try them on and size them for the conditions I will be fishing the most. For me, most of the time will be during warmer (above freezing) conditions so I typically buy boots that will work for waders and 1 pair of normal socks.

They are a bit snug during the winter when I have a thicker pair of wool socks on, but it's nothing a little loosening of the laces can't fix.

I think if I had a similar problem to yours, I might consider taking an old pair of waders that I no longer use, cutting the neoprene booties off, and doubling up. This should tighten up your boots
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I appreciate all the feedback, it looks like a second pair of wading boots is in my future. My wife looked at my older boots that were a 12 and ordered the same. I never realized they "right size" more boots these days.

No harm no foul I love the G4 Guide boots and they fit great with waders. I have a some unused gift card / rewards money at my local shop so now I have something to use it on.

Just need to decide BOA laces or not?