The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pszy22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default DIY Fish Release Gizmo

Click the image to open in full size.

For the past year, I've been using a small and simple, easy to make and easy to use gizmo. I am happy to say I didn't have to lay a hand on a single fish all year. Iíd like to take credit for initially coming up with the idea, but I saw this page last winter and decided to make something similar in design and concept Ė

Deadwood

My gizmo has a more circular loop, and uses a lighter gauge wire. But the basic idea of looping the device around the bend of the hook remains. Doing so seems to allow the hook to back out following the same path it went in, which results in the fish falling off the hook. One really needs to do the release over water, ideally standing in it. Itís a two handed operation, and the fish falls off like a rock. You donít want to do it over dry land.

It works so good, it actually makes the release step of the fish catching process enjoyable. I somewhat marvel every time I use it as to how good it works.
il_wi_fishing and pkins44 like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DIY Fish Release Gizmo

Two thumbs up for creativeness!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough

I love the ingenious and simplicity. Thanks for the post time to drink some wine before I go out this afternoon.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Make sure to drink enough wine so you can make a few extra for your friends.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo