The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jsquires
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By jsquires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Chair

For me, the Holy Grail of backpacking and rafting is the perfect chair - and I don't think it has been invented. Obviously weight and bulk is a factor, but I don't even want to hear about those triangular things you "sit" on that go up your butt or the Butterfly chair where your legs are the two front legs of the chair or those stubby chairs where you're almost sitting on the ground. I'm looking for something comfortable that packs well, that doesn't sink into the ground when you sit in it and is lighweight.
I have to buy four more chairs for my AK trips this year. The best I have come up with so far is the Travelchair Teddy Aluminum. They're pretty darn good, but not cheap. I have a friend with a machine shop and I keep telling him backpackers and rafters will beat a path to his door if he builds the right chair.
Before I give up and buy four more Travelchairs, I thought I would ask the panel of experts for your expertise.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chair

Sorry, if there is room for a chair, then would rather sit on a rock and pack better food or more fishing stuff.

Dave
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Sorry, if there is room for a chair, then would rather sit on a rock and pack better food or more fishing stuff.

Dave
Not for 8 days and not if there are no rocks large enough to sit on.
mcnerney and littledavid123 like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

I don't have any recommendations, but you said raft trip, so you will have a pump with you. Is there anything inflatable in the way of chairs? They would take up little space while traveling. Durabiltiy may be an issue though.
Just tossing out an idea...not necessarily a good idea.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
'm looking for something comfortable that packs well, that doesn't sink into the ground when you sit in it and is lightweight.
I think you are right, I don't think it exist... Sounds like you would like the amenities of a lazy-boy, yet packable and light enough for backpacking.

schiff may have the right idea , the inflatable could be an option. That is until you’re sitting on the ground for the next six or seven days and I am sure the weight is still a factor.

You may have asked not to hear about it, but I think the best option at least from my experience and what I tend to backpack with, is something like the "crazy creek" or "therma-rest" backpacking chair.

For the river I just take a regular camp chair and let the boat do all the work.

But backpacking is relative is it .5 miles or 50 miles, makes all the difference.

I have packed a lot of silly and very heavy things in for up to a couple miles, but for true full blown backpacking I think that is why they invented the backpacking chair.

If it’s your holy grail then it may just be worth packing the extra pounds.

Good luck and let us know if you find the perfect backpacking chair!
Cheers,
Watson
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

Weight seems to be the factor that is hard to meet. I use chairs made by GCI sold at REI, they are not light but collapse into a flat and manageable size. They are not light but also will not buckle if a 285 pound man sits on them. I stack them on top the coolers on my rafts or in the river boat and they travel well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not a great picture but you can see they are a substantial seat. Weight, as I said is on the heavy side and they are not indestructible but they are comfortable.....considering.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of sling chairs similar to these. They're old enough that I've had to replace the canvas a couple of times.
They could be more comfortable, the leg crossbar gets old after a while.
But they are light weight.
The one in the picture came from Sierra Trading Post

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Sierra Trading Post. But I digress. I have a pair of chairs that must have come with a Ford Explorer. Has Ford Explorer embroidered on the back rest. They are the kind that fold up and slide into a canvas tube. You see them alot as a style, but these are more sturdy and seem to be a lot more comfortable. If you decide to go with this style of chair, keep in mind they are most of the time pretty cheap and collapse under a bigger person if the are sitting in and fart hard. I wish I knew where to get more of them. I have had these for a good decade and still like new. I have a seriously over weight friend I bought a chair like this for, that is 1/2 again as wide and is as strong as the ones I use. It has made it for years in one piece. Colman makes it. They are not light either but fold down into a cloth sack about as big around as a saucer and 32" or so long. It is pretty comfortable and not prone to the breakage cheaper ones are.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Cabela's sells gobs of those folding heavy duty camp chairs
My brother-in-law buys himself a progressively fancier one every year
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Well, the search will continue - or I'll be buying four more TravelChairs.
A chair is one luxory I will not do without on an extended backpacking or rafting trip. And I'll tell you from experience the guys who don't bring them are the guys you will find sitting in your chair when you have left for a few minutes and then come back.
Thanks for the input.
mcnerney likes this.