The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

dan, i love the custom pattern on those nippers
oh, and i'm planning on finding and reading the red sofa thread

casey
Guest1 likes this.

ARFE
Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
I have only seen one other picture ever of a big fly caught Sturgeon.
I have never even heard of anyone else doing it. Do you remember where you saw the photo? I would love to trade info with whoever it was that did it.

My friend Bill and I have come up with a couple other ideas for it. We even have an idea that does not use scent and it has a scientific basis for working. I reconfigured the way I do the line. I caught this on a full sinking. That causes problems if you have any current and rocks. I made a shooting head line that works better.

Hah! I just noticed PAGE 12!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Dan it was on a Canadien site. Diggeridoo( probably spelled that wrong) Nick had sent me something and I was browsing one of the many links and saw it. The first thing that went through my mind was WOW someone else beside Dan ! I'll see if I can find it and I'll send it to you! It sticks in my mind cause it's about the same size as yours!

And for those looking for the Red Sofa thread it's in Business under small sectional sofa.
Guest1 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The first thing that went through my mind was WOW someone else beside Dan ! I'll see if I can find it and I'll send it to you! It sticks in my mind cause it's about the same size as yours!
Thanks! It would be great to talk to the guy. The only person I have ever even heard talk seriously about trying to do it is my friend Bill. Next summer I am definetly going to do it with a float tube. I need to get a camera/chase boat. I have an anchor rigged up with a quick release and a float on the rope. I'm just going to pop the anchor loose and then paddle hard away from the rope. At times they are anchor rope seeking rockets. It would be awsome to get one in the 70" zone. Tell me that wouldn't haul you around like a fat thingamabobber! I think the only to land one that size would be get yourself to shore first. Almost every really big one I have ever had first pulled me up river, (Boat) then across to the Canadian side and down the river. Not sure why they like that routine, but I have caught hundreds of them and it is a pretty consistant pattern. I think I'll wear two life vests also.

Actually, besides being a world class distance caster, Bill is a pretty innovative fisherman. If what we came up with works, and I really think it will, we can bust every stinking IGFA record for them with a fly rod there is. The Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame allows scent, and that's how I got them so far. The IGFA does not though. It's going to be interesting to say the least.
theboz likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the IGFA no scent no mammal meat no bait. But I can tell you there are 4 records in the book three shark where these rules were never followed. One is even documented!
I'd pay to see the video of you getting towed around by a big sturgeon! Awesome! How much do you think the scent played a roll in the one you got?
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
How much do you think the scent played a roll in the one you got?
A lot. Getting the fly to hit bottom and still be able to feel a hit is not easy either. That's one reason I got rid of the full sinking line. In fact this is a tough fish to get on a fly, but I had two in one day. This was the small one. The other was way bigger but I broke him off when I was way into backing and got scared I was going to loose my whole line. I over horsed it.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I got this sturgeon on a 30 lb tippet and used fingernail clippers. So there!
Click the image to open in full size.

The sofa thread started with a spammer trying to sell a red sectional sofa. I was actually pretty funny.
Hey Dan just found a diffrent Sturgeon on the fly picture! Check out Moldy Chum November 2011 Slab of the Month . Fly rod Sturgeon while Steelheading with a 6wt !!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

I wonder if he foul hooked it swinging or if it hit the fly. I have heard of them hitting trolled crankbaits out in the lake. It's always the inside line when turning so I think they need a few seconds to think it over before they hit, but it happens.
Click the image to open in full size.

It's a pretty decent fish. By the way, these things pull like a freight train.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM

I've seen guys drifting egg sacks with fly rods and catch a lot of big Redhorse. Those eggs stink so it's a possibility!

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

I've seen guys drifting egg sacks with fly rods and catch a lot of big Redhorse. Those eggs stink so it's a possibility!

Got the new IGFA record book today all Tippet Classes still vacant for Sturgeon!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Thread drifts don't count in the Abel nippers contest. In fact, there is a 6-page penalty for thread drifts.
Closed Thread