The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

I too use the dollar store variety and mine came with a set of curved scissors that I use on the harder materials when I tie flies.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

It takes a certain amount of savvy to shop at the dollar store; a friend of mine has great luck getting materials for tying and gazillions of other useful items there. On the other hand there's my wife, who buys $30.00 worth? of merchandise and $25.00 of it gets thrown in the garbage within a month. Sheesh!...in two months she could have bought me a pair of ABEL NIPPERS!!
fredaevans, jaybo41 and comeonavs like this.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I use the ty fast stainless ones being a salt guy. I,m glad it's almost fishing time 19 pages on nail clippers is a bit much. I am all for buying quality gear but some stuff just isnt needed.
leithel likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Yes yes yes love mine , have wasted alot more on something i didnt like. Try to find A used pair! That should tell you something.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Need has nothing to do with it. Want Want Want! I always want ,dont need anything
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

I think I am going to buy Diver Dan a pair just to convince him how great they are as he is so against it. What do you say Dan?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I really need to go up the hill to Blackhawk and inform those folks with Lamborghinis and Masseritis, not to mention those cheap-a## Mercedes and Porsches, how stupid they are (even though most of them didn't get where they are by being stupid) for not owning Volkswagens and Hundais. Don't they get it that if something cheap does even a half-a## job, you should buy the cheaper version?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
It takes a certain amount of savvy to shop at the dollar store; a friend of mine has great luck getting materials for tying and gazillions of other useful items there. On the other hand there's my wife, who buys $30.00 worth? of merchandise and $25.00 of it gets thrown in the garbage within a month. Sheesh!...in two months she could have bought me a pair of ABEL NIPPERS!!
Wife 1.0 must have been her twin sister?
leithel likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
I really need to go up the hill to Blackhawk and inform those folks with Lamborghinis and Masseritis, not to mention those cheap-a## Mercedes and Porsches, how stupid they are (even though most of them didn't get where they are by being stupid) for not owning Volkswagens and Hundais. Don't they get it that if something cheap does even a half-a## job, you should buy the cheaper version?
In my opinion, they are being stupid because of how unreliable Mercedes and how much the markup is on the parts to fix them. Shoot, even the labor to have them fixed cost more. Actually, this is the case with most German vehicles. They are smart, they make cars that they will make money on until they are rotting in a junk yard.

Hundai is often looked at as just a cheap car but these days they are turning out some very nice looking vehicles, some even look like newer BMWs at a fraction of the cost and the Japanese know how to make cars. When it does need a repair, (not NEARLY as often as the vehicles mentioned previously) the parts are very cheap compared.

In my opinion, it is the person driving the Hundai that is the smart one. When people see a Masserati, it wows them. That is far from the case when someone sees a Mercedes, BMW or Audi. Get the cars because YOU like them, NOT because you think you impress others with them, because you dont. A nice truck will have me take a second look, a Mercedes wont even get noticed.

Buy what YOU like.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Hmm, maybe the trout pattern nippers are the Masseratis that will get a second look on the river, the plain colors are the vehicles that may not get a second look, but you should buy because YOU enjoy it, and the fingernail clippers are the Hundai that gets 26mpg and is a little work horse.

This brings up another point, don't assume that just because someone drives a Hundai, they can't afford a Mercedes.

I knew a doctor that was well off enough to own a mansion in Newport as well as a few Mercedes. His ride of choice? An OLD VW Rabbit.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Wife 1.0 must have been her twin sister?
Well I dunno, but she DOES have a twin sister lol!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Well I dunno, but she DOES have a twin sister lol!
Dear Lord, I hope not (Wife 1.0) ... but I strongly suspect I'm wrong.
fae