The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

I have pairs of Orvis, Fishpond, and two or three others in my fishing bag but I was always buying something else thinking they must be better than what I was using at the time. Finally broke down and bought the Abels a year ago and love them. Worth every penny to me. Spent at least $50 trying others over the years and none of them come close to the Abels. My search is over.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I've had my pair for about a year now. They've held up well. I had a fishpond nipper (gave it away). It was okay but felt a little too small, and I have smaller hands. I like the heft in the Abel pair. I like the replaceable cutters (fishponds aren't I believe and their asking too much for something you can't replace).

That said, if I lost this one (thank God for zingers), I'd make do until I got another pair as a gift.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use these. They're .39 cents.
You can sharpen them once they get dull or rusty..... I do.

Then you get new ones !

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

I use these. They're .39 cents.
You can sharpen them once they get dull or rusty..... I do.

Then you get new ones !

Me, too. Buy 'em by the dozen.
Put them in my pockets, on slingers, in the glove compartment, and anywhere else I might need one.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Jumpins I was happy with my clippers until I read this thread
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I personally do not get why people buy nippers, nail clippers work just as well and will last just as long.

Now Abel reels, I am ordering one next week haha
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Most of the guides out west use them. Of course they may have gotten them from reps rather than buying them. Quite a few of those guys said that they wouldn't want to be without them.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee dave View Post
Most of the guides out west use them. Of course they may have gotten them from reps rather than buying them. Quite a few of those guys said that they wouldn't want to be without them.
Dave: You're probably right about guides getting them from reps, great way to get a lot of exposure on a new product. All the guides I have ever used either used their teeth (makes me cringe when I see that) or something cheap like nail clippers.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

I lack the necessary objectivity in regards to most Abel products.

A bit much for Trout fishing the Sierra.

TT
grouch, coug, leithel and 1 others like this.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

That's a nice tool but there's too many parts for what it does. The graphic nippers for $100 are insane. I'll take one in salmo trutta.