The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:33 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
I really need to go up the hill to Blackhawk and inform those folks with Lamborghinis and Masseritis, not to mention those cheap-a## Mercedes and Porsches, how stupid they are (even though most of them didn't get where they are by being stupid) for not owning Volkswagens and Hundais. Don't they get it that if something cheap does even a half-a## job, you should buy the cheaper version?
To be fair, I have owned a BMW and I have owned a VW. I will guaran-dang-tee that the VW was the better buy, dollar for dollar by a huge margin. Just as with nippers, there's nothing wrong with going high end...if it's that important to you for whatever reason. And "It pleases me" can be a perfectly valid reason. But let's be real, if substandard nipper performance has diminished a days fishing enjoyment, you take things way too seriously.

HA! I did it! I made the push to page 20!

Is there a door prize...maybe a new nippers?
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
I think I am going to buy Diver Dan a pair just to convince him how great they are as he is so against it. What do you say Dan?
Hahahaha. If you have $50 to toss away, who am I to say no?

Aaaaaand it's 20 Pages! I knew we could do it!
1move likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Well, apparently we need to straighten out all those car riviewers for naming the BMW the best car so many years in a row. But they're just car reviewers; what the heck do they know? Or maybe they're on the take.
I had one of the first Datsun pickups. Nothing would ever go wrong with it (what was there to go wrong?). But would I trade my FJ for it? Absolutely not.
BTW, my wife has a BMW and pays next to nothing for maintenance. Seems like they have enough faith in their product to cover most maintenance for several years these days.
Now, years ago I had one of the first Audis in the States. Don't even get me started about that piece of....
Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I may have to buy a red pair to match my new little sofa.
mcnerney, Guest1 and leithel like this.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Well, apparently we need to straighten out all those car riviewers for naming the BMW the best car so many years in a row. But they're just car reviewers; what the heck do they know? Or maybe they're on the take.
I had one of the first Datsun pickups. Nothing would ever go wrong with it (what was there to go wrong?). But would I trade my FJ for it? Absolutely not.
BTW, my wife has a BMW and pays next to nothing for maintenance. Seems like they have enough faith in their product to cover most maintenance for several years these days.
Now, years ago I had one of the first Audis in the States. Don't even get me started about that piece of....
Respectfully, I never said I didn't love that BMW...I did. But dollar for dollar, it was not the better buy. Just because a product, be it a nippers or a car, is a top end, high performance wonderful piece of technological wonder, does not mean that anything less is a piece of useless junk. Yet that is what too many seem to believe. Are there useless pieces of junk out there...of course, but not most, and not many.

I have a close friend who is a company trained BMW motorcycle mechanic who will go on and on about the incredible technology those bikes employ, and they are great. Ask him what to buy if you just want a nice, reliable ride...he'll tell you anything Japanese (except one particular brand that shall go nameless).
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
I may have to buy a red pair to match my new little sofa.
What color are the pontoons you are putting on that sofa?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Hyundai are not Japanese they are Korean.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
What color are the pontoons you are putting on that sofa?
I think a sofa with pontoons would be my ultimate fishjng vehicle!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
This is rediculous. You don't need a couch for fly fishing. At most you need a recliner.
Click the image to open in full size.

Maybe a red sectional articulated sofa fly.
Oh, I think I covered this one already.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I think white would contrast the red nicely. The only issue is it may be a little too much white since my desk is white as well.
Closed Thread