The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

You could do it a Tempurpedic - oh, wait.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Well, apparently we need to straighten out all those car riviewers for naming the BMW the best car so many years in a row. But they're just car reviewers; what the heck do they know? Or maybe they're on the take.
I had one of the first Datsun pickups. Nothing would ever go wrong with it (what was there to go wrong?). But would I trade my FJ for it? Absolutely not.
BTW, my wife has a BMW and pays next to nothing for maintenance. Seems like they have enough faith in their product to cover most maintenance for several years these days.
Now, years ago I had one of the first Audis in the States. Don't even get me started about that piece of....
Most car companies do give a pretty nice warranty these days. Look up the price of a liquid cooled alternator for a BMW and an alternator for a Honda. No, the BMW alternator won't last 10x as long to justify the price.

As long as she bought the car because it is what she likes and not because she thinks people notice it, she will be fine. Just like the nippers, buy them because you like them.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Most car companies do give a pretty nice warranty these days. Look up the price of a liquid cooled alternator for a BMW and an alternator for a Honda. No, the BMW alternator won't last 10x as long to justify the price.

As long as she bought the car because it is what she likes and not because she thinks people notice it, she will be fine. Just like the nippers, buy them because you like them.
She didn't buy the car at all - her boss bought it for her - used. But that is what she wanted and her boss knows her value. And you don't get noticed much around here for driving a 3 series BMW. But you know what, she is driving it, is experiencing it, has firsthand knowledge of it by doing so, and she loves it.
Looking forward to the day my grandson says "Grandpa, when you die, I want to have something to remember you by. How about those rusty nail clippers."
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

For the dude comparing this with cars, and whatnot about the reviewers.

If you are going off Car and Driver and the likes of that magazine it has been proven over and over they will pick the BMW 99% of the time out of all their reviews. I am a HUGE M series fan, thought about buying an M3 till I moved to Kansas and saw way to many BMWs, but they are one of the worst rated in the reliability area, actually most of the more expensive brands tend to stay closer to the bottom than the top.

Also if your grandson says Grandpa I want to remember you by a car or really any type of physical thing you have issues. I remember my grandpa because he was a straight up good guy, he taught me a lot about life and to remember where I came from, not by his fancy cars or anything like that, he did leave me some fly rods which I love, but I love the memories WAY more than anything else, and would give up all my money for more time with him.

Now to even compare buying expensive cars to store brand clippers is a bit out of control, you are comparing a lot of engineering power which goes into making even the "simplest" of cars to making nail clippers which I can tell you probably took the Abel engineer that drew it up all day, mainly because he got bored looking at cat LOL pictures online.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post

Warranties are law, so to give them that much credit is a bit far fetched. Also Honda is cheap because they use cheap parts, for BMW you are typically paying for innovation, they are one of the top companies for making new technology, and typically when the other companies can afford to put it into a vehicle they do. Much like now you are seeing all the newer cars made by GM, Ford, Honda, and the likes using the adaptive cruise control and what not all came from the higher end companies like BMW, and MB.

Also if you have ever bought parts for a BMW, VW, Audi, etc you will know they are all cost you an arm and leg, and getting parts can be even more of a PITA. I am not sure if it is because they are German or what, but they suck to get parts for, it is actually one of the things that has kept me from ordering an Audi S5, expensive cars are nice, because you can feel they are built better, but even though I can afford these things, I still love my 07 Focus lol it gets me to and from where ever and gets 33mpg while doing 80mph.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 PM

You're right, of course, Stuie, BMWs are junk, Abel nippers are not worth the dollar-for-dollar tradeoff, grandkids should only be left memories and never a momento, and I'm sure you're right about the Abel engineer looking at cat pictures online. Thank you for making me feel better about my position on all this "dude."
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

How the heck did this turn into cars? First of all, there is not a reasonable comparison here. A Maserati is comparitively more expensive than an old Dodge beater. However, both don't perform equally. A 49 cent pair of clippers cut line just as well as those $100 Abel nippers. Now if you want to compare it to cars, toss a Maserati body on that Dodge beater. Then you have a great looking spendy car that performs exactly the same as the Al Bundy car. Abel nippers look great, not $50 or $100 great in my opinion, but they do the EXACT same job as the 49 cent clippers. Don't believe it? Take your Abel clipper and chop a piece of line and send it to me. I'll clip the other end with my 49 cent clipper. We will then send the sample to someplace we can have a microscopic photo done of the ends and see if we get some magic difference.

Cars schmars.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
You're right, of course, Stuie, BMWs are junk, Abel nippers are not worth the dollar-for-dollar tradeoff, grandkids should only be left memories and never a momento, and I'm sure you're right about the Abel engineer looking at cat pictures online. Thank you for making me feel better about my position on all this "dude."
Ugh nevermind not even worth it. Good luck to you and your lucky grandkids.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM

And good luck to you and your generalities.
stuie675 likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

21 pages on nippers......
c'mon spring

casey
Guest1 likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
21 pages on nippers......
c'mon spring

casey
Supposed to get in the 60s here in KC at the end of the week and I of course will be stuck on a jet most of the day. My poor Triumph wants to be free, but I have to keep her caged for a few more weeks sadly. Race season needs to get here fast is all I know hahaha.
Closed Thread