The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

I use these. They're .39 cents.
You can sharpen them once they get dull or rusty..... I do.

Then you get new ones !

Click the image to open in full size.
^ This

To spend $50 bucks on a pair of glorified nail clippers is asinine in my opinion unless you are doing it for the sole purpose of saying, "Look at me! I have $50 nippers!"

Are you going to catch more fish because you ponied up $50 for a pair of nippers? Nope. Does it even make you a better angler in any aspect? Nope.

Let's also look at this from the aspect of do they cut any better than $.39 nail clippers...highly doubt it and let's be realistic here. We aren't cutting 60lb braided line as fly fishermen; we are cutting 2, 4, 6, maybe 15lb mono or flouro. It doesn't take a surgical instrument to accomplish this.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I fall in the camp of are they a luxury item? Heck yes. Can I afford them and want a pair ? You bet. I also want a pair of the pliers too.

Sad reality is zinger, no zinger whatever method you suggest carrying them I drop stuff, break zingers etc etc. for me personally I'd be better off donating the money to wounded warriors or big brother / big sister program.

I don't mind luxury, I have a $100 Spyder knife I carry in my kit when I go. It has never been out of its wrap and might not ever be, but I can't see a likely scenario where I drop it in the river . I am just a complete idiot with nippers and forceps. If I had a dollar for every pair I have at the bottom of the river I'd buy $50 nippers

I can see why people buy them. $50 for life or $5 a year , pick your poison. I buy $400 dress shoes because they last a lifetime and I can. The nippers just aren't for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

From a review by Andrew Bennett of Deneki Outdoors:

"Do You Really Need $50 Nippers?
No, of course you don’t. You also don’t need a $600 fly rod rod, or a $500 reel, or a $200 pair of sunglasses. A rusty pair of fingernail clippers will cut 10pound Maxima eventually, most of the time, just like a $25 garage sale fly rod can cast as far as you need to cast, most of the time.

We were skeptical when we first heard about Abel’s nippers, but after a little cooling-off-period we realized…yeah, you use your nippers more than pretty much any other tool in fly fishing. It’d be nice to have a pair that did a great job consistently cutting leaders and tippet. If they work great and last a long time, the ‘price per nip’ will be darned near free, even at $50 a pop. Seriously, we have incredibly high standards for all the rest of our gear – why do our nippers have to be crappy, especially when we use them so much?
Why We Like Abel’s Nippers
Yes, we like them, and yes, we think they’re worth $50. Here’s why.

■They cut the small stuff and the big stuff well. Our cast titanium offshore pliers cut 80 pound fluorocarbon well. Our lightweight surgical ceramic nippers cut 5X well. These nippers cut both well.
■The hook cleaner is the best-designed we’ve seen. It’s set right near the edge of the nippers, making it really easy to line it up with the tiniest of hook eyes.
■The jaws have a 2 year warranty. Yep, for $50 they better last a long time. Yep, the jaws are going to be the first part that wears out. Abel will replace the jaws for you for 2 years.
■High quality gear feels good. This is a well designed and manufactured piece of gear, and you’ll grab it dozens of times each day, and that’s a good thing."

Personally, I like quality gear that I can enjoy and pass down to my kids and grandkids. Not so sure that makes me a sucker.

But we're all wired differently (and have different teeth and bites that may or may not work for cutting line, even if we're going to disregard what trained experts - dentists - say about doing that), which is a good thing. Bottom line: Do what makes you happy.

BTW, I own a $1 lanyard from which dangles a cheap nippers -- probably the 20th pair of nippers I've owned -- that does a poor job cutting, so I think I'll order an Abel nippers today and make myself happy.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have to agree...to an extent of course (I won't be buying the $250 leather bracelet from ORVIS anytime soon).

Having grown up in a lower middle class family where the sole bread winner was an enlisted Naval father with 5 kids, my knee jerk reaction is to reject buying cheap and tons of it. That's all we did! And while we were gently (ha!) warned to take care of those things, we never did. Gotta love kids!

It's a luxury for sure. Does it work any better? I haven't run any side by side tests against nail clippers, but I think they will last just as long. They certainly 'feel' better in my hand (uh in my head?)

And (I'm defending purchases, again) if anything I buy makes me excited and enjoy the sport more...all the better! Quality over quantity.

Yes, if I lose them I probably won't drop the $50 again. There are always bdays and Christmas lists...

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

I lack the necessary objectivity in regards to most Abel products.

A bit much for Trout fishing the Sierra.

TT
I laughed out loud when I saw this post. I guess I am not very objective with Abel products either. I have the nippers, reels, pliers and knife and think all of them are great. Well made and the most functional gear I own. Rumor is they are getting ready to announce some hemostats and I will be all over those too.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

+1Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

I appreciate the thought of $50 is crazy. They are £40 or so in the UK. It has been a while since I lived in the USA. So I'm not sure what a beer costs now, but in London a beer is about £4.00, so 10 beers or so. I know what I would prefer.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
I know what I would prefer.
What would you prefer?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
What would you prefer?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug View Post
I laughed out loud when I saw this post. I guess I am not very objective with Abel products either. I have the nippers, reels, pliers and knife and think all of them are great. Well made and the most functional gear I own. Rumor is they are getting ready to announce some hemostats and I will be all over those too.
I have the Abel money clip and I love it. Can't tell you how many wallets and money clips I've bought over the course of my life, but I can say I will never need another. I love the clip and I love not having to sit on a big lump on one side of my butt, which I've heard from reliable sources is bad for the sciatic nerve.
I look forward to the hemostats. Glad to contribute to our growing economy.
Closed Thread