The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

As previously mentioned I don't think so, Mine are virtually The Same as Brookfield Angler's,a Bit Flasher,they have a Nail File attached,however they are a little dearer.
Brian
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
sbreech

I recieved a set of Abel nippers for Christmas two years ago, and I am still amazed at how smooth they are. Never have to "open them up" to use, just grab pinch snip zing done. I fidgeted with it all Christmas day that year...and it is still going strong, no corrosion, still very sharp, and the eye cleaner pin is in just the right place. And as a bonus, I have clipped my nails with them a few times.

A big thanks to my daughter.
jaybo41, shotgunfly and jsquires like this.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
And as a bonus, I have clipped my nails with them a few times.
I love it! Now it's totally worth the price!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

There is not a nipper on this planet that is worth $50! Learned years ago to stop using teeth after seeing friend chip his! As others have said rather buy a ten pack of 39 cent nail clippers and have one in my vest, pants pocket , shirt pocket and bag. One of the easiest things to lose or misplace and it can't be that much better than a pair of nail clippers! At least not $50 better!
Oh and if you want to call your nail clippers nippers just take the lever off! Instant nippers!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Well, regardless of being called a sucker, asinine and narcissistic by those who are anti $50 nippers, I'll refrain from name-calling and restate my opinion and the opinion of many others that the nippers in question are a quality piece of equipment that will last a lifetime and can be passed down with pride to children and grandchildren.
I find it interesting that the folks who have experience with both the more common kinds of clippers and nippers and the Abel nippers think the Abel nippers are worth the $50 while the folks who have no experience with the Abel nippers are able to make a comparison/proclamation that they are not worth $50. But I have a friend who says "There is no bottle of wine worth $30 or more," despite never having tasted a good or great bottle of wine, so maybe I am missing a certain power that others possess.
As far as the statement that "There is not a nipper on this planet that is worth $50," I learned a long time ago from a very talented financial advisor that something is worth what a willing buyer is willing to pay for it, and thousands have shelled out $50 for this item, so, I'm sorry, I reject that statement/proclamation.
But reasonable people can differ - hopefully without resorting to name-calling and/or labeling.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

There's a blue pair somewhere on lower Rock Creek just outside of Missoula, MT (unless someone already found them), because my stupid zinger failed on me last August. I hope someone finds 'em and enjoys 'em as much as I did.

I ended up getting another pair.

I love 'em.

PS: If I had to guess, I'd say they're near the Governor's Hole. I spent a good bit of time there.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
There's a blue pair somewhere on lower Rock Creek just outside of Missoula, MT (unless someone already found them), because my stupid zinger failed on me last August. I hope someone finds 'em and enjoys 'em as much as I did.

I love 'em.

PS: If I had to guess, I'd say they're near the Governor's Hole. I spent a good bit of time there.
I haven't lost anything really valuable but I've had the same problem with zingers in the past; I'll probably be investing a little more in a zinger in the near future as a result of sweetandsalt's post above about a screw on, as opposed to pin on zinger.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 AM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
There is not a nipper on this planet that is worth $50! Learned years ago to stop using teeth after seeing friend chip his! As others have said rather buy a ten pack of 39 cent nail clippers and have one in my vest, pants pocket , shirt pocket and bag. One of the easiest things to lose or misplace and it can't be that much better than a pair of nail clippers! At least not $50 better!
Oh and if you want to call your nail clippers nippers just take the lever off! Instant nippers!
Technically, $49.61 better.

Having done this, the clippers with no lever can be more difficult to pinch quickly and easily. Not saying it can't be done, as it can, but the ergos of the clippers compared to the Abel nippers are worlds apart. Everyone likes different stuff...
Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

I will bet that everyone who thinks the price is nuts have spent more than 50.00 trying to find a pair that they like, I know I have.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post

I love 'em.

Boy, I hear you on that. One thing about $50 nippers is it made me paranoid about losing them. I have mine on a cord around my neck now. I first got them for steelhead where I do not use any kind of vest/pack, only the pockets in my waders, so zingers were not an option. I just keep them on the cord for trout and lake fishing. Works great and I like it a lot more. Stuff on zingers gets in the way for me. But that is another thread!.....
jaybo41 likes this.
Closed Thread