The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Well, regardless of being called a sucker, asinine and narcissistic by those who are anti $50 nippers, I'll refrain from name-calling and restate my opinion and the opinion of many others that the nippers in question are a quality piece of equipment that will last a lifetime and can be passed down with pride to children and grandchildren.
I find it interesting that the folks who have experience with both the more common kinds of clippers and nippers and the Abel nippers think the Abel nippers are worth the $50 while the folks who have no experience with the Abel nippers are able to make a comparison/proclamation that they are not worth $50. But I have a friend who says "There is no bottle of wine worth $30 or more," despite never having tasted a good or great bottle of wine, so maybe I am missing a certain power that others possess.
As far as the statement that "There is not a nipper on this planet that is worth $50," I learned a long time ago from a very talented financial advisor that something is worth what a willing buyer is willing to pay for it, and thousands have shelled out $50 for this item, so, I'm sorry, I reject that statement/proclamation.
But reasonable people can differ - hopefully without resorting to name-calling and/or labeling.
I never called "you" asinine. I said the action of paying fifty bucks for glorified nail clippers was asinine and despite every argument against me, I still think it is.

The reason why every person who has them loves them is simple....justification. You'd feel horrible and embarrassed about ponying up that kind of cash if you didn't love them. Heck I do it all the time. I've got a $90 pair of flip flops that I justify to myself and others all the time. Nothing wrong with it....

All of these arguments about only buying one pair forever is simply a justification tool. I could buy over 100 pair of my nail clippers for 50 bucks and considering I get a year or so out of a set....well pretty sureid be toast by the time I spend that much.

If you got em and love...great. But don't try to make others who don't feel like a lesser angler.
I'm not saying that they aren't nice because im sure they are. Heck if I got a set for Christmas, I'd be a happy camper but they don't make you a better angler or fly fisherman than me or anyone else.
theboz and crohnie31 like this.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I must say, this has all been pretty amusing on a cold (really cold) winter's week.

This discussion comes up on every forum to which I belong. The only difference is the subject:

Are these nippers worth $50?
Is this lens worth $2,500?
Is this set of waders worth $800?
Can you really taste the difference between $20 wine and $100 wine?
Is Under Armour worth ten times the cost of generic brands?
Can the new Porsche Carrera 4 really be worth $91,000? (My first 911 cost me $4,900 new in 1969.)

To me, the answer is always the same - if it's worth it to YOU, it's worth it. It's your money. Have fun with it.

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

Last edited by plecain; 01-26-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Itís never been about me or becoming a better angler, itís about my San Juan worms! They deserve to be in a $200.00 Wheatley model 1609 fly box.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then again, I like Gallo's Moscato @ three bucks a bottle.
TT
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
To me, the answer is always the same - if it's worth it to YOU, it's worth it. It's your money. Have fun with it.
"Hear! Hear!", I yell as I bang my $500 flip flop on the table.

One more thought:

In my opinion, in this day and age, if it's "Designed, Manufactured and Assembled in the USA" it's worth it.
mcnerney, sbreech and jsquires like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I never called "you" asinine. I said the action of paying fifty bucks for glorified nail clippers was asinine and despite every argument against me, I still think it is.

The reason why every person who has them loves them is simple....justification. You'd feel horrible and embarrassed about ponying up that kind of cash if you didn't love them. Heck I do it all the time. I've got a $90 pair of flip flops that I justify to myself and others all the time. Nothing wrong with it....

All of these arguments about only buying one pair forever is simply a justification tool. I could buy over 100 pair of my nail clippers for 50 bucks and considering I get a year or so out of a set....well pretty sureid be toast by the time I spend that much.

If you got em and love...great. But don't try to make others who don't feel like a lesser angler.
I'm not saying that they aren't nice because im sure they are. Heck if I got a set for Christmas, I'd be a happy camper but they don't make you a better angler or fly fisherman than me or anyone else.
If a person commits an asinine act, that makes them what, smart? The implication certainly is there. That's like saying I didn't call you a sucker, I only wrote, "As Barnum said, there's one born every minute."
And here is my problem with such statements as "The reason why every person who has them loves them is simple....justification" It's stated as fact, a proclamation, not prefaced by or followd by "in my opinion." It is totally not possible for you to be inside someone else's head and know their reasoning. That would be like me saying "The only reason anyone would argue against such a great piece of equipment is because they're cheap," which is ridiculous and not true.
Your statement about making others who don't have them feel like a lesser angler is nonsensical. I could go back and read, but I have no idea where that statement comes from. In fact, I don't have them and I don't feel like a lesser angler. You are once again speculating as to what is in the minds of others. A friend of mine who recently died was one of the best anglers I've ever known - and he just couldn't afford anything like a $50 nippers, let alone a $700 fly rod or $700 waders.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

This is really no different than spending big bucks on a reel that will never even use its drag. If I could afford an Abel reel with a brook trout pattern, I would buy one. Until then, I will happily outfish the guy with the $1,500 setup with my Echo and Lamson Guru.

Personally, when I see someone on the river with all the top of the line gear I don't think "wow that guy must be really good". Usually it is the opposite. On certain rivers, the older timers are the ones catching all the fish with an old beat up glass rod.

It comes down to them being creature comforts and what YOU want to use.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I love mine. If I lost 'em I'd buy another pair. I've used every pair of nippers ever made over the years, and they're by far the best pair I've ever used. People always get their boxers in a bunch when subjects like this come up which I find entertaining to read.

They're well built.
I like them
They feel great in my hand.
I like them
They look cool.
I like them
They're sharp.
I like them
The blades are replaceable.
I like them
They're USA Made
I like them

They've not dulled one bit and if they were el cheapos, nail clippers, Fishpond, WJ and a couple of others that I'm missing but not going to waste my time looking up they'd be dull by now. How do I know this for certain? I've used them all in the past and have had to replace them. If I get 4 years out of them they paid for themselves and more.

Mine were a gift. I love them. I can honestly say I can't see myself ever needing another pair of nippers - ever - unless for some dumb reason I buy another pair in another color or a pattern. Nobody ever said all my fishing purchases were smart but they make me happy

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
■The hook cleaner is the best-designed we’ve seen. It’s set right near the edge of the nippers, making it really easy to line it up with the tiniest of hook eyes.
That is an understated aspect of the design that I love. I prefer nippers that have the hook cleaner on them. I can't tell you how many times over the years I stuck a finger on the needle on the exposed hook cleaner on pickabrandofnippers.
coug likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
"Hear! Hear!", I yell as I bang my $500 flip flop on the table.

One more thought:

In my opinion, in this day and age, if it's "Designed, Manufactured and Assembled in the USA" it's worth it.
Are there really $500 flops?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Are there really $500 flops?
Ha! NO WAY! ;-) I think they were $65.

If I could find this high arch and comfort for my plantar fasciitis in a pair that lasts as long and is half as much, I'd buy em. But I haven't found something like that. I've actually blown through a bunch of cheaper one's before I found these.

One of my friends said, "It all boils down to foot wear." He was so right.

C

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Closed Thread