The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree198Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice
Default Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

$50.00 seems pretty steep for a pair of nippers. What do you think?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

I've never used one, but I'd never spend that much money for something nail clippers could do. Besides, with my luck I'd probably loose them on the first fishing trip.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I asked for a pair as a gift this year for Christmas. They're certainly a luxury, but they do what they're designed to do quite well. I don't imagine I'll need another pair of nippers for the rest of my life.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
I asked for a pair as a gift this year for Christmas. They're certainly a luxury, but they do what they're designed to do quite well. I don't imagine I'll need another pair of nippers for the rest of my life.
unless you lose them, or fumble them in cold weather.

I dont use nippers, i got teeths

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 01-24-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I had apprehension of buying them for myself when I saw the price tag but decided to buy them as a Christmas gift for chi because of his Abel addiction. Ironically enough, he bought me a pair that very same Christmas.

They are a luxury item for sure, there are plenty of good and cheap alternatives if you don't care to part with $50 for them. If you can swing it, I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. They're wonderful. After using them for a year or so now, they haven't dulled on me. You can put them on a zinger or lanyard and not have to worry about them. Mine are always around my neck. Blades can be replaced and the first set is replaced by Abel at no charge I believe. There are also deals that can be had when you buy an Abel reel, you can get free nippers and free line. I think one of our members recently took advantage of this and posted some photos.

Before the Abel nippers, I'd go through a few sets of nippers in a year, sometimes even one set within 10 days of fishing. Easy enough to replace and not expensive and certainly not a bad route to go. I used to use cheap polarized sunglasses for fear of damaging or losing them and wound up buying new ones every year or so. Since then, I've upgraded to a more costly pair and have had the same pair of glasses for at least 5 years with absolutely no issues. When I have good gear, I take care of it.

At the end of the day, buy what you will feel good about and stick within your budget.
horseman_37601 likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I couldn't see myself paying $50 for Nippers,are they Gold Plated?
Over The years I've seen & used many Things to Cut Line,my Teeth when I was Younger,Scissors,Pocket Knifes,Small Side Cutters,Nail Clippers,Nippers etc,however I still think The Large Size Nail Clippers with The File attached still The Best.
They are Cheap,Multi-Purpose,you can even cut your Finger & Toenails with them if you have to,I have them Pinned to one side of My Vests With A Line Straightener,Glasses & Forcepts on The Other Side.
Brian.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Between the chipped teeth I've had happen to friends and that nasty bug giardia, I try my hardest not to resort to biting tippet tags off.
I bet most people would pay $50.00 not to chip a tooth or have "explosive diarrhea", vomiting or burps so foul that they are known to cause more vomiting.
mcnerney, biggie_robs and jsquires like this.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

$50 for Abel nippers (& more if they feature art work)...e gads, that is almost 5X as much as an Orvis nipper. Lets see, 5 regular nippers might last 5 even 6 years (allowing for dulling of the cutting edge not loss) but the Abel nipper lasts a lifetime with vastly superior performance and great "feel". Surely not a "must have" item any more than is an Abel reel is but attach them to your vest with a small size "Gear Keeper" brand retractor which screws on rather than having a pin that can fail and features a detachable fastex fixture so you can remove the nippers when tying leaders at a camp table.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
$50.00 seems pretty steep for a pair of nippers. What do you think?
..... you know what Barnum said....

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
for now I don't use them all the time either. I don't have to see my teeths
Closed Thread