The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nawilliams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:41 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishing shoes or sandals

I'm looking for something light and not bulky (wading boots are bulky) for my Alaska trips.
Last year I bought an oversized pair of Keen sandals, but that didn't work because they have those slits and it lets in dirt and small rocks and I was constantly pulling them off to wash them out.
Anyone have lightweight fishing shoes that they are real happy with? Maybe something I could even wear on the plane so I could free up more space in the bags.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing shoes or sandals

That reminds me of a road trip on the bikes a few years back, on one of the stops, I had setup a guided trip on the South Fork of the Snake and had called ahead to see if I needed to bring my wading boots. They told me no so I decided to use my Keen sandals to save space and weight, like your experience, boy was that a mistake. Most of the trip was fishing out of the drift boat, but on those occasions that we waded the Keens were just miserable with all the little pebbles. I'll be interested to see what the others recommend.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:56 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm not in waders I still wear wading boots with neoprene gravel guards because it suits my need for foot protection on the high gradient stream that I like to fish. That said, I fished with a guy over this summer who wet wades all the time and has tried lots of different options. He said that he finally found the right wet wading shoe, the Riprap by Simms.

RipRap Shoe - Footwear - SHOP

I think getting debris of some sort inside your shoes or boots is pretty much unavoidable. I mean even when wearing my waders, using gravel guards and wading boots I find gravel on the inside.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-26-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Sneakers.

Until last year I never owned a pair of 'wading shoes'. Get sneakers with the softest soles you can find.

Also, use socks that fill up the sneaker well without being too tight. That prevents the pebble problem.

I tried no socks just once. My feet looked like someone had used a cheese grater on them.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
If I'm not in waders I still wear wading boots with neoprene gravel guards because it suits my need for foot protection on the high gradient stream that I like to fish. That said, I fished with a guy over this summer who wet wades all the time and has tried lots of different options. He said that he finally found the right wet wading shoe, the Riprap by Simms.

RipRap Shoe - Footwear - SHOP

I think getting debris of some sort inside your shoes or boots is pretty much unavoidable. I mean even when wearing my waders, using gravel guards and wading boots I find gravel on the inside
Thank you. I think the RipRap is exactly what I'm looking for. I checked out a review. they also have the anti-odor insert, which is important if you're going to be wearing them on a long plane ride home after a month's use in the wilderness.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Thank you. I think the RipRap is exactly what I'm looking for. I checked out a review. they also have the anti-odor insert, which is important if you're going to be wearing them on a long plane ride home after a month's use in the wilderness.
I have the rip raps. They are comfortable but do let silt / small gravel in. Simms makes some liner type of socks. You could use gravel guards but these would probably be better.

Simms Neoprene Wading Socks | Front Range Anglers | Boulder, Colorado Fly Fishing Shop and Guided Fly Fishing Service

I am assuming these will be summer gear since you said Alaska .
Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

FiveFingers. Though they're not for everyone, they are comfortable and tight enough to keep any rocks out, provided you got the correct size, but not too tight as to make things uncomfortable. I find as well that with my FiveFingers, I feel more confident walking around on rocks and such as well.
stuie675 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilliams View Post
FiveFingers. Though they're not for everyone, they are comfortable and tight enough to keep any rocks out, provided you got the correct size, but not too tight as to make things uncomfortable. I find as well that with my FiveFingers, I feel more confident walking around on rocks and such as well.
I was looking for something to wear with my waders instead of bulky wading boots that take up a lot of room in a pack or bag. Five Fingers and waders would make quite a fashion statement, though.

I may just get the RipRaps, wear them on the plane and when I'm wet wading (with my NRS neoprene socks), and then only wear the waders and boots when it's raining.

Yes, this is the month of Aug, maybe a bit into Sept, in Alaska.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

Yeah, FiveFingers won't work with waders, so that's a no go.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

These are what I use in the Rocky Mountain backcountry on days when I can wet wade and also for trail stream crossings. They're fantastic. They obviously allow a little grit and gravel to get under your feet, but I've spent many a warm day fishing in the mountains and it never was too bad of a problem. I would stop and clean them out but only during normal breaks. And they do weigh right at 1.5 pounds for the pair. They also look great around town and are extremely comfortable.....I even wore mine on the plane once.

I just ordered another pair but two sizes too big. I plan on using them with Orvis stocking foot hippers that weigh 1.5 pounds as well. I'll have great wading ability in the backcountry with only a three pound punishment.

Here are mine strapped to my backpack. They are North Face Hedgefrog sandals The North Face Hedgefrog II Sandals - Men's - FREE SHIPPING

Click the image to open in full size.