The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Fly Fishing Backpack

I would definately want something waterproof. Check out Sealine's line of dry bags:

sealline dry bags at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase. Includes skis and snowboards.

Randy
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolf View Post
I am looking for a nice fishing backpack. I will be using it for overnight fly fishing trips in the mountains of Central/Northern PA. It will be used for packing my vest, waders, wading boots, rod, and maybe a change of clothes. When I am fishing I will be using to to hold my hiking boots. If possible I would also need to strap a sleeping bag on it as well. I like the Sage Typhoon backpack. I am also looking at the Simms Dry Creek Guide backpack. If anyone has any information on fly fishing backpacks please let me know.

Thank you,
Hey Matt,

I have used a number of packs over time but I have never used a fly fishing pack for backpacking!

I find it interesting that this is all you need to do an overnight backpacking trip…maybe a sleeping bag and maybe extra clothing??

I thought I roughed it but when you say perhaps a sleeping bag, no tent/bivy or tarp, no food, no way to cook food, no pad, no maps/books or navigation, maybe extra clothing and that’s just off the top of my head, now that’s roughing it.

You’re a lot more hardcore then I ever was, are you playing survivor?

I guess overnight backpacking is relative… 1 day or 10 days, half mile or 50 miles, packing into a yurt or sleeping in a snow cave…

Some of these items could be overlooked depending on certain factors like mentioned above, I don’t claim to know backpacking in PA but I have done my fair share here in these parts. I only imagine it sucks to have rain, no tent, no sleeping bag, no extra cloths and the combination of it all is probably pretty miserable while trying to sleep overnight.
This is a good way to put the kibosh on a well deserved week or weekend trip.

Anyways I guess what I am getting at is while that Simms Dry Creek Guide backpack looks pretty sweet and could very likely do the job my suggestion is to open up the options beyond the fishing aspect and get a pack that will carry what you need, while also serving your needs.

One with a detachable top pouch that works as a fanny pack is what I have used in the past so I can leave all my goods at camp and then have the fanny pack for carrying my fishing supplies, while fishing.

I don’t know all fishing packs that are out there but I’m referring to something in the 3500+ cubic inch range, which that Simms is in that ball park! Maybe there are others that have branded as “fishing” packs in that size range but I think my fishing pack is closer to 1100 CI and it’s pretty full just for a day on the river, without any camping necessities.

Packing around any large pack with or without anything in it for a full day or weekend of fishing doesn’t sound attractive to me and while your pack may be waterproof if everything else is wet that doesn’t sound very nice either.
I guess I would suggest a rain jacket while I’m at it.

You can strap rods, sleeping bags, pads or boots on just about any pack.

Take it for what it’s worth you know your situation a whole lot better than I do, but I just thought I would throw that out there in case it helps you or opens up your options.
Cheers,
Watson
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

This is the one i have....

William Joseph Coastal

Very comfortable and lots of room. At least for my needs.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vans View Post
This is the one i have....

William Joseph Coastal

Very comfortable and lots of room. At least for my needs.
The Coastal looks like a great pack.
I have sported the old Willy J Exodus pack for a few years now, great pack still has plenty of life to it. But they have improved their packs significantly over the past couple of years, so I have been think about picking up the Coastal.
I am eying the single front compartment, how has that treated you?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I've done many backpacking trips soley for the interest to fly fish the backcountry. And I always just use standard backpacks and I try to lighten all of my load by generally using ultra lightweight gear. Pictured are two packs that I currently use on long trips. For shorter trips and/or when I really want to lighten the load I have an REI Flash backpack that holds 4000 cu. in. and is able to carry a rod case, net, and my full fishing vest. And it only weighs in at just over three pounds. IMO you don't need a fancy overpriced "fly fishing" backpack. Embrace good standard backpacking gear and you'll be better off.

This backpack is good for longer trips that don't require waders and boots. It's an REI pack sized about 4500 cu. in. and only weighs in at 4.5 pounds.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the beast that I use to pack waders and boots with. It's over 5,000 cu. in. but weighs six pounds.
trout trekker likes this.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I really can recommend to take everything which you want to take with you on your trip into an outdoor shop. There have a look for a good backpack which can contain everything in a proper way. And this will be right one.

THORSTEN
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed the other day that LLBean had this pack on sale
Remote Waters FishPack: Fishing | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i like my kelty redwing 50

casey

ARFE
Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM

bo on fly is on a distinguished road

I too am a diabetic and need to carry extra gear on fishing trips. I used hip packs from Fishpond both large (Guide Pack to Old School model and small Orvis safe Passage). I also used a Fishpond chest pack trying to minimalize, but they were either too heavy with all my gear or too small for the diabetic necessities.

I recieved an Orvis Guide Slingpack and absolutely love it! it is roomy enough for my extras and the outside pockets easily carry two large and two medium fly boxes. It is comfortable to wear and easy to get into.

The extras like waterbottle holder and tippet carrier are fantastic additions. I can easily carry my monitors and snacks without any discomfort. I do add a small Lanyard to hold nippers, floatant, etc... I highly recommend this product.