The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing Backpack

I am looking for a nice fishing backpack. I will be using it for overnight fly fishing trips in the mountains of Central/Northern PA. It will be used for packing my vest, waders, wading boots, rod, and maybe a change of clothes. When I am fishing I will be using to to hold my hiking boots. If possible I would also need to strap a sleeping bag on it as well. I like the Sage Typhoon backpack. I am also looking at the Simms Dry Creek Guide backpack. If anyone has any information on fly fishing backpacks please let me know.

Thank you,
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing Backpack

I guess it depends on the type of waders, wading boots, your change of clothing and whatever else you'd want to pack but I tend to think that the majority of fly fishing exclusive packs might be on the small side compared to what you're looking for.

The Daycreek pack, while nice is not all that large. You might want to consider the guide pack but there isn't a rod holder. If I were in your position, I'd start by gathering my items and putting them in a pack that you currently own and get the dimensions you think you might need. Then look at offerings from companies like Simms, Sage, Orvis, Fishpond, etc and make yourself a spreadsheet of their offerings and dimensions. If you can't find a pack with a rod holder in the size you're looking for, consider adding one that has a shoulder strap and or a D ring, then clip it to your pack.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I guess it depends on the type of waders, wading boots, your change of clothing and whatever else you'd want to pack but I tend to think that the majority of fly fishing exclusive packs might be on the small side compared to what you're looking for.

The Daycreek pack, while nice is not all that large. You might want to consider the guide pack but there isn't a rod holder. If I were in your position, I'd start by gathering my items and putting them in a pack that you currently own and get the dimensions you think you might need. Then look at offerings from companies like Simms, Sage, Orvis, Fishpond, etc and make yourself a spreadsheet of their offerings and dimensions. If you can't find a pack with a rod holder in the size you're looking for, consider adding one that has a shoulder strap and or a D ring, then clip it to your pack.
So true

I have one of the bigger Orvis backpacks that holds two rods, one on each side. I would be lucky to get my boots and waders in there, let alone everything else needed. My buddy users a hikers frame pack and it is more along the size needed for what you are describing.

Then again if it is for summer you could get by with a smaller pack, wet wade using something like the Simms Rip rap shoe and you would be good to go.

I hiked 3 miles last summer out of a canyon with wet waders and boots in my pack. All I can say is I'm not 18 any more.
jaybo41 likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of cut my post short there, sorry about that. Avs you nailed it. Once you know the dimensions of what you're going to need in order to carry your gear, you might need to forego the fly fishing pack and go with a non fly fishing specific pack. Either with frame or without. Even the largest fly fishing specific backpack I've owned would never allow me to get wading boots and waders in there, let alone fly reel, flies, and whatever else I need for fly fishing.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Glacier Glove River all-in-one pack. It have a pouch for waders and separate one for boots, two spots for rod tubes, and a top part of the pack for other stuff. Waders and boots take up a lot of room there's no getting around that. But this is a nice pack.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I love my Orvis, waterproof backpack. I don't think you'll find one that will handle both waders and wading boots, that's why I bought Korkers.

Randy
stuie675 likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I use an REI lookout 40 backpack, seems to fit everything inside of it just fine. I just tie my boots to the outside of the pack and it seems to work, but I rarely am hiking without my waders and boots on.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

I use the Original Sage DXL backpack , with the DXL chestpack. I can fit my Waders in and wading Boots and the chestpack and box of Food & Drink , net and two rods in my custom rod tube or two seperate tubes either side. the chest pack then clips into the backpack when you start fishing. I use it for my days out when I go by train to Fish Streams. very comfortable too.

Last edited by rayzor; 02-05-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

https://gohornhunter.com/Products/Ho...8/Default.aspx You should be able to find what your looking for here, and they are made in the U.S.A.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

Click to View Search Results for sage typhoon backpack - Google Search sage typhoon backpack - Google Search

There is a pic of the Typhoon. I can put the waders and boots on the back.