The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM
deathwish

Default New Waders question

I have been only fly fishing this past summer in local river and have become addicted. My waders were my sneakers LOL.What is a good pair of waders that will not break bank and will not leak(and over heat you in summer)
PS I know nothing at all with this sport.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default Re: New Waders question

I personally wear Redington Sonic pros but they have a pair in the $150 range that is really nice too.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Also watch ebay, every now and then you can find a good pair for cheap.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

All waders will eventually leak. Some companies have warranties and customer service that will ensure replacement if not satisfied. They may cost more up front but you are getting a high quality product and money is saved in the long run. Patagonia...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

What amount would not "break the bank" for you?

If you are comfortable in that 100 to 200 dollar range, as unpopular as this may be around here, the BPS or Cabelas brands are hard to beat and come with a phenomenal warranty - which you will be using.

If you want to spend a bit more, I really like the Simms Headwaters although I have heard a lot of great things about the redingtons as well.

The main difference - aside from price - is the possible ease of warranty work. If you go with the big box store option, you simply bring your old waders in and exchange for a new pair.

If you go with the simms or redingtons, you often have to send them back to the manufacturer and wait.

It's all about what you prefer.

For a while I did hte big box store thing but was tired of going every couple of months. I went with the Simms and haven't had an issue for a year now. They cost more but not having to exchange them all the time was worth it for me - my time is quite valuable to me.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I wouldn't rule out LL Bean. They have an iron clad warranty. I know many folks who have bordered on taking advantage of them but its not like they can't afford it. Free shipping to boot.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Liz got the white river brand and after 20 minutes the buckle for the gravel guard ripped completely off and the other one was hanging on by a thread.

We returned them and Ordered the Womens Kennebec waders from LL Bean. They are really nice.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x2 for LL Bean, I love my bean waders and they do stand behind them. The free shipping can add some savings as well. I'd troll fly shop closeouts, sierra trading post, and the clearance area on Bean, Orvis, Cabelas, etc etc. There are deals to be found. I got Simms wading boots in Cabelas' bargain cave some years ago for a great clearance price and Bean waders on sale on their site.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I always forget about LL Bean since I have not needed to buy any for a few years now, LL Bean makes good stuff and backs it up.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwish View Post
I have been only fly fishing this past summer in local river and have become addicted. My waders were my sneakers LOL.What is a good pair of waders that will not break bank and will not leak(and over heat you in summer)
PS I know nothing at all with this sport.
My first pair of waders were Cablea Dry-Plus stocking foot waders. When on sale $90-120. I still have them and still use them.
You can also checkout SierraTrading Post...they have waders at some exceptionally great deals. Got my boys a pair of Reddington breathable waders for $50 this Christmas. Should have gotten me a pair.

Larry