The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice
Default Re: Minute of Your Time

Wow thank you all for your responses, some great ideas and food for thought here I really appreciate it. Obviously what I'm getting is quality over price and that people want a established brand if they are going to buy online, all makes lots of sense. With that said, would everyone feel that their rods were more secure with suction cups or with magnets. I am leaning towards magnets, they can work in the cold, and are very strong.

Thanks again for all of your responses, they are helping tons.

Joe
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I'm with Diver on this one. Even if you made the rack look sexy. Rods inside only here!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

Also, for those that have said they will only keep their rod inside their car, would something like a rod tube appeal more to you, or are you just unsure of the whole idea of carrying your expensive rods outside your car no matter if its enclosed or not.

Appreciate all of the answers

Joe
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The rack I own uses magnets and has never failed. While I understand the trepidations expressed by some about the use of such gizmo's they have their place and time. When you fish a river with a road paralleling it they are priceless. I inferred safety as being an ambiguous factor due to the need to exercise common sense when you have one or more fly rods riding on your hood. When you utilize a carrier you don't venture onto Interstate highways and you definitely don't use trails. When traveling a dirt road like the one I pictured, if a vehicle comes in the opposite direction I pull over in case there is an errant stone sent aloft by the tires of the other driver.
wt bash likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Joe,

I'm in the group that probably wouldn't buy or use an exterior rack regardless of cost or quality.

Just curious, do you have a product improvement in mind? Also, do you know the current demand for exterior fly rod racks? I'm guessing the demand will remain low regardless of cost or quality.

This is an interesting excercise.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I too would feel uncomfortable leaving my rods outside exposed to dust or a careless moment on my part. Would like to see a better case for keeping my 4 piece rods broke in half, lined and ready for use. Haven't found one yet to suit my needs.

Dave
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

1. I've looked at these but two things have kept me from getting them. The fear that they will go flying off at some point and the fact that a thief can make off with them or my rods/reels if I go inside a restaurant to eat.

2. I've seen a case that goes on a set of car racks, locks to the rack and locks shut...best price I've seen on that is $400. I think $200 is a better price. For the one's you're talking about I think $100 is fine. Cheaper than that and I really don't trust em.

3. Safety.

4. Doesn't matter. I'd find it.

Anyone who sells a rack that sticks to your car by magnets or suction is going a huge fear factor to overcome in customers. Better have lots of testimonials and videos of tests to prove they won't come off.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Joe,

I'm in the group that probably wouldn't buy or use an exterior rack regardless of cost or quality.

Just curious, do you have a product improvement in mind? Also, do you know the current demand for exterior fly rod racks? I'm guessing the demand will remain low regardless of cost or quality.

This is an interesting excercise.
A niche market for sure, but I am hypothesizing that by dropping the price, the market may become a little bigger, Interesting exercise for sure, but as an entrepreneurship major, a valuable one.

I really appreciate everyone's responses, and for giving me some food for thought and ideas.

This is absolutely more of a convenience, niche than a necessary item, which is why I feel as if making it less expensive would open up more people to be able to purchase one if they felt it would save them some time.

Thanks again,

Joe