The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice
Default Minute of Your Time

I'm a college student studying entrepreneurship, and and I am doing some research for a potential product, if some of you would be so kind and take some time and reply with honest answers, it would be greatly appreciated by a young outdoors entrepreneur.

The product that I have in mind is a rod rack, similar to Sumo Rod Racks( Sumo Magnet | RODMOUNTS ), would be mounted on the hood of your car. The Sumo racks are quite expensive, around $150, and I have a feeling that more fisherman would be able to use a great tool like this if it were significantly less expensive. The questions for I have for my fellow fisherman are these.

1. What are your concerns with racks like these. Safety, cost, quality, or all of the above?

2. If the product was significantly less expensive, say $70-80, would you be more willing to purchase and use something like this.

3. Similar to the first question, what would be your most important criteria when buying something like this, would it be cost quality or safety, an act as if you had to chose one, not all of the above.

4. Would you be more apt to buy something like this in a fly shop or online, or does it not matter.

Thank you in advance for any responses I do receive, and please, if you are responding, do not hesitate to be brutally honest.

Thanks for all your help,

Joe
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Minute of Your Time

For #1 Safety and Quality are the biggest concern and the cost will reflect that (in some cases)

#2 Sure but it ties into #3 and #4

#3 Quality if its junk it doesn't matter if its $10

#4 Fly shop or any outdoor shop, I'd like to get my hands on it and possible see a demo in person. Anyone can edit a video online to make a turd look like a magic candy bar.

Hope that helps.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion matches Wt Bash

Dave
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joe,

1. Quality matters over cost; with that said, safety is up to the user.

2. Referring to #1, I have a 23 year old rod carrier sold by Orvis that cost 100.00 back then so.......

3. Right back to #1, quality counts.

4. I bought my rack 'hands on' and there was a certain security that came with being able to test it on my vehicle at the time of purchase.

Ard

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 and lacanadio like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

1 all of the above
2 down near 70 maybe not something I'd use much so wouldn't spend much
3 safety
4 if it's well known online is great since it can be hard to find time to get to stores. If less known I'd want to see it.
jaybo41 and lacanadio like this.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Echoing the above.. Quality is paramount.

Figuring my rod setups are about $1,000 each (rod + reel + line) - saving $50 - isn't even a consideration

And a fly shop, probably the only way I'd go.. I figure they'd let me try it first
jaybo41, comeonavs and lacanadio like this.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

With the number of rocks, birds and other potential rod busting objects that have bounced off my vehicles over the years, I would not stick my rod outside the vehicle any more than I would make the wife ride out there. Well I'm divorced and..... Ok that's a bad example, but you get the drift.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd add that if you consider online sales as part of your plan, plan to give out free racks to some folks to do honest reviews or to guides and fly shops to use on their vehicles. They might decide to sell them and if they like them their review would be valuable. They may also have tips to help you improve them.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty much spot on with Bash's comments. I pay for quality as long as as it's not going to break the bank. Even if it is more expensive, some things ARE worth saving for.

What would factor into such a product for me is that rods are SECURE and SAFE and the rack poses no signs of use once removed from my vehicle. That is KEY. It should also be easy to assemble and tear down.

Until the name is well established, hands on experience would be the way to go. With a purchase like this, people will want to see it and make sure it properly fits on their vehicle since that's a variable.

Another thought: The overwhelming majority of racks these days are for single hand rods. If you had a 2 handed product that might be a good selling point for those folks who use 2 handed rods and thus help gain a customer base.

For whatever its worth, I have an SUV so I break my rods down and put them in a tube inside the vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

My impression is that a "quality" product will safely protect the equipment, so I view safety and quality as the same thing and therefore equally important. That said, I agree with wt bash.