The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By klunker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM

flyfishercacher is on a distinguished road
Default Wader Problem

I have a pair of chest waders that I bought along with a magazine subscription. Maybe not a good way to buy waders but what sold me was the fact that at the time they were the only source for waders that would fit me -- short and fat. There was no brand name on the waders. Subsequently a few other manufacturers have put my size on their size chart. Orvis (XL Short), Simms G3 (LKS), Patagonia (XL Short)

The waders fit -- almost! All have the same foot size (9-11). Very few people my size wear a 9 and I don't think anyone wears an 11. I wear an 8. If I stuff the toe with cloth or paper and put on two pair of very heavy socks I can fill the stocking-foot. When I went shopping for wading boots the size boot that fit was a 13 -- HUGE.

Aside from looking silly, I fear that a size 8 foot in a size 13 boot in rushing water on slippery rocks is dangerous.

I want to find someone who can modify the waders by removing the 9-11 stocking-foot and replace it with a 7-9.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wader Problem

I can't really help you with finding someone to modify your existing waders. But if I was in your boat I would call a mfg., Simms for example, and ask them if they would do it. I'd be surprised if they would but if they don't I'd then ask if they know who might do that work. Its a way to ask someone who really knows the wader biz, if anyone knows it would be someone that's in the business.

I'm somewhat in the same predicament as you with regards to the feet being to large compared to the rest of the wader. I have Simms waders. The next time I need a pair of waders if Simms doesn't have boot foot waders out by then I'll order a custom set that fits much better. I fish alot and its a pain in the arse to wear waders that have poor fitting feet especially when it comes to very cold weather.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Unfortunately I know of no company that will change out the booties unless they are on the waders made by the company in question. Simms is the only maker I know who offers custom builds for waders. They can actually taylor a pair to your specs.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

REPAIR PRICES for diving suits and waders plus alterations

here is a outfit that will change the bootie for you. $111
Guest1 and lacanadio like this.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM

flyfishercacher is on a distinguished road