The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
deathwish

Default good boot waders

For someone who does not want to spend 200 to 600 for sock waders and another 100 to 300 for boots what is a good boot wader???
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: good boot waders

I have a pair of the Cabela's Dri-Plus bootfoots and I like them just fine. I've had them about 5 years now.
Bootfoots work out well if the terrain is fairly easy and you're not needing to scramble over a lot of streambed rocks. I use mine for fishing in the surf.
I also have stocking foot waders for more challenging terrain.
Think of it like the difference between wearing sneakers and hiking boots
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
deathwish

I was in local fly shop yesterday looking at sims waders and buy time you buy them and boots your around 500.00.Ikes work more then my wife!! LOL
Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Check-out what they have at Cabela's
Over the years I've owned 6 different pairs of their waders and have always had good luck with them.
There's no reason to buy that high priced stuff.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

this looks like a good deal
Men's Rapid River Waders, Aquastealth Boot-Foot: Fishing | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

casey
kayo likes this.

ARFE
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Gore-tex® Felt Sole Bootfoot Waders By Simms (for Men) - Save 0%

Many of the winter steelhead guides in the PNW wear boot foot waders. They claim the added room in the boot allows increased circulation keeping their feet warmer. The above link lists several boot foot waders for your perusal.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM

jonc1 is on a distinguished road

For cold weather, I received a pair of drake waterfowl boot waders, 800 weight Thinsulate , 3.5 mm neoprene, boat pants. The buckle around the ankle keeps the boats from getting sucked off in the muck and toasty warm even in zero weather. Great product!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

Sierra trading post has some Simms waders with Muck boot's at a discounted price. Muck boot's are cozy. If you get the right coupon(a common one, if you sign up for their deal flyer program, is save an additional 40%off secret sale BS which you get emailed all the time.) you can get them for around 125$ I think or something like that. It's a good deal if they have you're size.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM

pngunme is on a distinguished road

I use Simms stockingfoot and cleated Simms boots for stream fishing, but recently bought an inflatable pontoon and decided I needed something lighter, without cleats, to use with fins.

I was initially going to use my Simms stockingfoot with a pair of water shoes, but then I found a pair of Allen bootfoot waders (rubber boots) for $115 at Allen Co. Shelter Bay Breathable Waders - Boot Foot (For Men) - Save 46% - you can probably get them cheaper, with additional discounts.

Utah no longer allows the use of felt soled boots and, while Nevada 'allows' them, they encourage you to NOT use felt - so, these rubber boots are perfect for my use. BE SURE you check your fishing location before you buy something with felt soles - they may not be allowed.

Since the Nevada/Utah trout lakes are frozen over for the winter, I took my pontoon to Pahranagat NWR and tried it out on the water there - the waders were perfect - for my pontoon use.

I recommend you try them out - from Sierra Trading Post - read their 'return policy' - it allows you to try them out and return them if you are not happy - 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Note: Rubber soles will work for many applications - but, you may find yourself wading in a stream that is slick (with algae or other) - I use my cleated Simms (Alumibite cleats on Vibram soles) to handle slick streams.

Good luck!

Danny