The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Simms Taco Bag

Any of you use one of these. The concept seems great but I picked one up at Bass Pro the other day and actually put it back. I don't see how it is rated to hold 2 pair of boots and waders. I guess that doesn't matter since I wouldn't be putting 2 pair of boots in there. I have a big William Joseph bag with the bottom part for boots and with a roll out mat to change on. That bag holds a jacket, waders,vest , boots, camelback and all my misc sunblock, bug spray , reel briefcase.

You will all think I'm nuts but my dad used to have a change can to save his change.....well it ain't 1985 anymore so I have a can I save my change and $1 bills in. So I've got $75 I can go fritter away at my local brothel ( fly shop ) and was thinking this would be good for summer. Planning on only putting in there

Boots
Simms hip pack
Camel back
Reel briefcase (holds 4)
Sunblock

Any first hand knowledge would be appreciated

And god I can't wait til spring until we are all showing each other pics of trees and fish. 8" of snow expected today here in Denver and my wife looked at me like I was from Mars when I said "bet the rivers will be uncrowned today, maybe I should go"
Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Simms Taco Bag

I've had a taco bag for years. Works great.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I use mine all the time. When going out of town, I use it as a duffle. It holds more than just boots and waders. I also have a gear bag w/ a place for wet boots and waders, but they are not wadded up in a ball in the taco bag like they are in the mesh part of the gear bag.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I have one. I used it primarily to throw on the ground when I'm putting on and off my waders so the wader booties don't get damage from gravel/stones and to keep junk from getting in my wader boots. I have buddies that use a sample carpet chunk for the same purpose.

I have a station wagon so I just put all my gear in the back of my car. I have a sheet of cardboard down in the wagon that everything lays on. I have a old school cafeteria lunch tray I throw on the ground to stand on while getting waders on.
I also set my wader boots on the tray to keep the back of the car cleaner. Keeps all the moisture, sand, mud and stones confined. The waders just lay out in the back of the wagon. The wet waders and other gear are left out to dry in the back of the car while I'm driving back and forth, not all folded up and closed in the taco bag where they would not dry. When I get back home my car goes in the garage, I hang my waders up on a hook right next to the car and the tray with the wet/dirty wader boots go on a shelf right next to the car also. My garage is heated so even in cold weather my gear is dry in a couple of hours. It's gotten to the point that I don't use the taco bag anymore. The taco bag for me is just an unnecessary item that serves no purpose.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I have one. I used it primarily to throw on the ground when I'm putting on and off my waders so the wader booties don't get damage from gravel/stones and to keep junk from getting in my wader boots. I have buddies that use a sample carpet chunk for the same purpose.

I have a station wagon so I just put all my gear in the back of my car. I have a sheet of cardboard down in the wagon that everything lays on. I have a old school cafeteria lunch tray I throw on the ground to stand on while getting waders on.
I also set my wader boots on the tray to keep the back of the car cleaner. Keeps all the moisture, sand, mud and stones confined. The waders just lay out in the back of the wagon. The wet waders and other gear are left out to dry in the back of the car while I'm driving back and forth, not all folded up and closed in the taco bag where they would not dry. When I get back home my car goes in the garage, I hang my waders up on a hook right next to the car and the tray with the wet/dirty wader boots go on a shelf right next to the car also. My garage is heated so even in cold weather my gear is dry in a couple of hours. It's gotten to the point that I don't use the taco bag anymore. The taco bag for me is just an unnecessary item that serves no purpose.
And for me and the 3 different guys I typically fish with all drive pickup trucks including me (I got a new one friday and nothing is going in there on the leather )

Since everything but the rod tubes go in the bed of the truck I sort of "have to" have something to put them in. I like you hang (after cleaning) everything.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

We have a couple Taco Bags, one for mrs fysh and one for myself, they're great for standing on when getting geared up, dressing down and holding the wet gear for the ride home. Once we get home I unpack and dry them, then they're folded up and put away in the big gear bag for the next trip.

Happy, happy, happy!
comeonavs likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Last edited by fysh; 02-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I bought one of these Allen Co. Changing mats awhile ago at STP for about $5

It folds up into something about 10"x10"x1".

Click the image to open in full size.

You can fold it into a bowl shape and fill it with a weak bleach/water mix if you are worried about invasive stuff.

I have an old milk crate that I keep that thing plus my boots and waders in. That's what I store it in in the garage and I just throw it in my truck or car when I go fishing. The crate also gives me something to sit on or to put my foot on when tying my boots.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Simms Taco Bag

Out of all the gear I have, the best $25 I have spent has been on the doormat and Rubbermaid bin for storing and transporting my waders and boots.

Comments welcomed on the mat!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Out of all the gear I have, the best $25 I have spent has been on the doormat and Rubbermaid bin for storing and transporting my waders and boots.

Comments welcomed on the mat!

Love the bin, love the boots but really need to get you a Oregon Ducks mat
ghocevar likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Avs, now you need to get some seat covers for that fancy new truck of yours. What did you get?

Side note: I'm with you on the boots and bin Avs. ghocevar definitely needs a new mat. Maybe we can take up a board collection to get him a new one
ghocevar likes this.