The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Adventure Flyfishing Co vest (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/312133-adventure-flyfishing-co-vest.html)

8snake 02-28-2013 06:11 AM

Adventure Flyfishing Co vest

Anyone running an Adventure Flyfishing Co vest? I'm in the market for a new vest and had just about settled on a Simms G3 Guide when I came across the Adventure vest while browsing the web. It looks like a very well thought out design and the 30-day return policy can't be beat, so I'm very tempted to give one a whirl.

troutnut4 02-28-2013 06:47 AM

Re: Adventure Flyfishing Co vest

The SIMMS guide vest looks like a quality vest but do you own or have you looked at their hip/waist packs? IMHO very practical and a lot cooler in the summer than a vest. Some of these types of packs hold a ton of gear...if you want to carry a ton that is.:D

8snake 02-28-2013 01:20 PM

I appreciate the suggestion, but hip/waist packs aren't very conducive to the type of fishing that I do most of the time.

fishngolf16 02-28-2013 02:12 PM

8snake,

Wow, that is nice stuff. I have never seen Adventure Fly-fishing merchandise. Are there any retail outlets that sell this gear? I would like to get my hands on it before purchasing.

I have the Simms G3 vest and can attest to the ease of use and years of durability. The shaped pockets make for easy one hand in and out retrieval. The shaped pockets also keep fly boxes in the vest when you forget to zip up. That point alone has probably saved me three or four boxes of flies. You cannot go wrong with Simms merchandise but you may have found a real winner in the Adventure Fly-fishing Gear.

8snake 02-28-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishngolf16 (Post 531852)
You cannot go wrong with Simms merchandise but you may have found a real winner in the Adventure Fly-fishing Gear.

That's precisely why I'm torn. :)

Adventure's web site says there are dealers in 25 states. The states are listed, but you have to call to find out who the actual dealers are. I'd like to compare the Adventure and G3 vests first-hand before deciding, but if that's not practical Adventure does offer a 30-day return policy. Unlike many return policies, Adventure actually lets you use the gear and then you can return it if you're not completely happy. I have to admire a company that feels that good about its products.

fredaevans 02-28-2013 03:00 PM

So "Plus One."

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutnut4 (Post 531712)
The SIMMS guide vest looks like a quality vest but do you own or have you looked at their hip/waist packs? IMHO very practical and a lot cooler in the summer than a vest. Some of these types of packs hold a ton of gear...if you want to carry a ton that is.:D

Story starts years ago when my gear was a drift rod, etc. I'd come home from fishing and I'd be close to exhausted. Wife 1.0 asked how much does all that 'stuff' you carry around weigh?

Had no idea so she went and got the bathroom scale ....... 200 pounds. Strip it all off and re-weigh ..... 168. :eek:I kid you not!!

That's when we started stripping out all the 'do you really need it on you, or can you just leave it in the car and 'reload' as needed. Hard, hard, very hard to put all that stuff in a tackle box and leave it behind.

Ended up with a Fannie pack and damned little in same ... and no vest at all.

Now? If I can't stick it in a few pockets (fly fishing) I don't need it. :ranting3:

Well, a day in a drift boat, I will bring a bit more.

fae

streamwalker 03-02-2013 10:22 PM

Re: So "Plus One."

^^^ fred has it right! myself i use to take a backpack for fishing in the trout streams..i had stuff in there that i never used in a year period so i got tired of carrying it. i now have a small yes very small! chest pack. it carries everything i need! now when trout fishing all i carry my flies in is a small tin can a extra leader and then my fishing shirts have places to clip on pliers and off i go! i use to have 3 different fly boxes in my pack and so much other stuff it was crazy! also use to use a big chest pack that was organized and everything but i just got out of all of that and am so much happier with fishing the way i do now. but thats me!

jcw355 03-03-2013 07:14 AM

When I bought my simms vest, I bought it thinking it was built to last. It is definitely a quality vest that should last a long time as with the other simms gear I own. My first vest was from bass pro and it hung lower than the simms vest, that took some getting use to but I'm over that now. If you get into deep water those bottom pockets on the vest will hold water so you will need to check your gear. Non-waterproof fly boxes will be water containers, I know. Also there sizing chart is off. Going by the chart, the vest I first got would be fine if I was only wearing a tshirt. I'm 5' 10" 180lbs and with waders on, a large is okay but I could have gotten an XL and been fine. The simms is quality but if you can try it on first good or at least talk to a salesperson. I just checked simms website and there sizing chart must have been changed, my size is what I got now. I have the G3 guide vest.

gallup 03-03-2013 07:17 AM

Hello All, as founder and owner of The Adventure Flyfishing Co., as well as the designer of all its gear, I just wanted to add a couple (obviously biased) comments to your thread.

Firstly, Simms makes some outstanding gear, and you can’t really go wrong with most it, especially their highest end “guide” range. Having said that, I believe our gear is exceptional because I’ve spared no expense in its manufacture, and it’s designed to address certain functional challenges inherent in other gear on the market, (i.e., vest that transforms into a weather resistant vest/jacket, inbuilt tippet dispenser, retractor cavity, dropdown fly trays, heaps of pockets, integrated hydration system, waterproof long-bill caps, etc.).

Best thing I can recommend is to visit our site and thoroughly review our products, their features and benefits, as well as have read through the “press/media reviews” and “guide testimonials”, and see if any of it resonates strongly with the type of fishing you do, the conditions you fish in, and the challenges you face with some of your existing gear. If it does, then it’s very likely our gear would be well suited to you.

As for dealers, unfortunately, as a small manufacturer the dealer model didn’t work as well for us as direct-to-consumer, so we’ve scaled back the number of dealers we have across the US, Europe and Australia in favor of online.

I completely respect wanting to touch and feel gear before you buy, but what I can offer is an absolute 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. So, if you’ve been through our site and are confident that what we have will work well for your needs, order it, use it, beat the hell out of it for 30 days, and if you’re not absolutely satisfied return it for a full refund... no questions asked. :)

If you have any further questions, or there’s anything I/we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to give us a call or email us.

Take care and tight lines!

Robert Gallup
(877) 4-FLY-FISH
Info@TheAdventureFlyfishingCo.com
The Adventure Flyfishing Co. :: Premium All-Season Fly Fishing Gear & Accessories

romanl 04-19-2013 11:52 PM

^^ no prices on anything on the site?