The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: C&F Fly Boxes: Are They Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Dan, I bought the depicted one from Renee Harrop when he first brought them over from Japan some years ago. It was a novelty item at the time and I had to have it though I am sure I paid multiples of the $9.50 Allen Fly Fishing charges for the so similar appearing box currently. I was recently given a private logo box all but identical to the SA clear, two-sided box that looks all but identical to the origianl too. If the knock-offs are as good as the originals or even, as McTrout suggested, the original without the brand name I don't mind saving the bread. Point remains, the imaginative inception of the idea and its execution are first rate and an advantage to anglers keeping their precious flies dry until we chose to get um wet. I applaud innovation. I will add that the many Wheatly rip-offs I've examined are a far cry from the real thing...but that is another category.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say, and I agree, a great design.
BTW, it's Mrtrout, not Mctrout.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post

Water proof and floats are two different things. It is weight vs. displacement. Bet you $5 if you drop the C&F box it goes straight down and through the rapids to meet up with your other box, both full of dry flies.

You do realize that it could not have leaked fast enough to go straight to the bottom? Even a submarine can't go straight to the bottom and they are designed to sink. If it had a weight vs. displacement that allowed it to float, and it leaked, it would have floated way down stream eventually going to the bottom. Waterproof and floats are two different things. I have a box that floats and isn't waterproof. You can have a water proof box that goes straight to the bottom.

Like I said, waterproof and floats, two different things.
You are right, I didn't speak as precisly as I might have. When I tested it initially it floated and flies stayed dry. As it was in moving water it didn't go straight to the bottom, but went down on an angle in the current taking my flies with it. I'll have to see if I can find some of the knock-offs you and others have found. I didn't (and haven't) spent money on boxes like C&F because I have a hard time believing they are worth it.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have already corrected your name, accept my apology please, and I agree with the old adage. However, when an item is developed and produced in the US, UK, Japan, etc. and imitated in China...that is a creative property issue which is less complimentary. Do the imitation C&F boxes have molded on their bottom side, "Made in Japan"?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I bought all these c&f and five inserts for $100 at sportsman warehouse when they were in bankruptcy. I bought all they had. It was about 60% off so I'm not complaining. I like the big box because I have big hands. The ridges give you a good grip on the box too. Plus they're waterproof and well made. Unfortunately that box doesn't fit anywhere on my person.

The small ones are slick and don't fit my hands well so they go flying once in a while and they're Not waterproof. I'm about ready to put some grip tape on them. They don't fit very well in pockets either.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

McTrout, lol. Is that replacing the filet o' fish sandwich?
dean_mt likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have already corrected your name, accept my apology please, and I agree with the old adage. However, when an item is developed and produced in the US, UK, Japan, etc. and imitated in China...that is a creative property issue which is less complimentary. Do the imitation C&F boxes have molded on their bottom side, "Made in Japan"?
Only joking SandS, thanks.
No, on the ones I have, there is no place of manufacture, but I would bet the wife they are made in China, hope I'm wrong.
It is less complimentary, but lets face it, what isn't theses days, China, Korea, home of Hardy.
It'll be interesting to see what appears in the future as patents run out.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
McTrout, lol. Is that replacing the filet o' fish sandwich?

very good, never thought of that.
S.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster ii View Post
I bought all these c&f and five inserts for $100 at sportsman warehouse when they were in bankruptcy. I bought all they had. It was about 60% off so I'm not complaining. I like the big box because I have big hands. The ridges give you a good grip on the box too. Plus they're waterproof and well made. Unfortunately that box doesn't fit anywhere on my person.

The small ones are slick and don't fit my hands well so they go flying once in a while and they're Not waterproof. I'm about ready to put some grip tape on them. They don't fit very well in pockets either.

Click the image to open in full size.
Steve, a friend was using one of the large grey ones in your picture.
He had spent a full winter filling it with exquisitely tied nymphs, approx 400 plus.
It slipped from his hand in cold weather, and sped away from him at an alarming rate in fast water.
He was deep wading at the time, and he had just shut the box.
It dissapeared downstream, out of sight, he never found it, broke his heart!
Now he attaches a length of backing line to one of the small holes on the box, and fastens this to his vest/jacket.
Basically bolting the door after the horse had bolted.
S.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing with a lot of stuff in the fishing world, there are factories that supply many brand name people with the stuff they sell. For instance, conventional reels despite the hundreds of brands out there are all made in something like half a dozen factories. Some fly reels from different brands have the same components with a change in the porting ot whatnot to appear as a different reel. Plastic manufacturers make products for a great many companies. Scrub that spendy logo off and you have the precise same box off the exact same line from the very same factory in many many products.

Just because it doesn't have the fancy name on it doesn't mean it's a knockoff. It's likely it's identical twin without the birth mark.

By the way, I have never lost one in the water, because I change flies on the beach.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has great potential to turn into the twin sister of the Abel Nippers thread.

I love my C&F's especially when I can find them on sale. I've had some of them for years and those ones have long outlived the other fly boxes I bought at roughly the same time. Just like shotgun posted, the system boxes are great. Easy to flip out the foam inserts and change flies depending on where you're fishing and what hatches are on the calendar. Also fabulous if you need to replace the foam inserts which are often on sale if you look around. Are they worth it to me? Yes.

When the patents ran out on the C&F's the game changed in the fly box market and thus the no name brands or named brand knock off's. If I see one of them in the fly shop I frequent I may give it a look but I can count on them carrying C&F which is a primary reason I've got them to begin with.

Jeepster, that's one helluva purchase on your part. Really nice find!
chi flyfisher, dean_mt and cletus like this.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I have never spent more than 10 bucks on a box and all work just fine for me. I refuse to spend a huge amount on something that cost maybe 5 bucks to make at most.
Guest1 and wt bash like this.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
McTrout, lol.
I think I may rename my ...... uhhh, you know....

so very very
dean_mt and woodrivertroutbum like this.