The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: C&F Fly Boxes: Are They Worth It?

S&S, I agree with you 100 percent. Hard to square a concern for the impending demise of craftsmanship while standing in the checkout lane at Wal-Mart with a knockoff in your hand.
I hope you save up your money and come on one of my trips to Alaska; I think you would be an interesting guy to have around the evening campfire.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I fail to see the correlation between craftsmanship and molded plastic fly boxes made in Japan, but maybe I'm just nit picking.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Just too literal. One can't write about fly boxes without getting into flies and the gear we cast them with...the point of quality and creative property is just being broadened out a bit. And there is nothing wrong with a Plano, as long as it is a real one. Many of us, including me, have Dremel tooled out some hinged plastic box and lined it with cut-to-shape dense foam with fine results. WT, you love cane rods so surely you are an admirer of quality work. This thread, a still snow flying riff on the Nipper thread, is not about if you like C&F boxes or not. Really it is about authenticity verses fake and fly fishers responsibility toward the conflicting economic forces of product produced by fly fishers for fly fishers vs. those who steal ideas and make money by copying the idea in an Asian factory that wouldn't know a trout stream from a sewage ditch.
Jackster and jsquires like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:10 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Fair point which is why I make my own when I can.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I understand every penny counts now adays, but for me, a fly box is not the place to save money.

Everytime I go to a shop to get info on an area, etc., I always buy some flies. Usually ends up being at least $10. Flies I don't purchase that I tie take a lot of time and money. If you look at a full C&F box, the cost of the flies inside are what? $500 to $1,000? Or maybe even more. Is it really going to kill you to buy a $40 box that you know is 100% waterproof and reliable?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM

If it aint broke don't fix it. My homemade and cheap boxes have served their purpose just fine. So I'll use the 40 to gas up, buy a license, donate it to TU or CFR or something I deem useful. Sorry you're not going to change my mind. Now I'm done with this thread as well.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I understand every penny counts now adays, but for me, a fly box is not the place to save money.

Everytime I go to a shop to get info on an area, etc., I always buy some flies. Usually ends up being at least $10. Flies I don't purchase that I tie take a lot of time and money. If you look at a full C&F box, the cost of the flies inside are what? $500 to $1,000? Or maybe even more. Is it really going to kill you to buy a $40 box that you know is 100% waterproof and reliable?
Waterproof is nice and all but the importance varies depending on what is in the waterproof container. A $500 digital SLR? Yes, very important. A box of flies that I tied to get wet to start with? No as much.

Personally, I think all this waterproof stuff is silly. They are fishing flies! They get wet and then...they dry off! As long as you can recover the box after you dropped it in the drink, waterproof is of little concern to me. Sure it may ruin part of your day of fishing, but it isn't the end of the world.

So, one question and then I'm done: would you rather have one of those cheap Morel foam boxes that weight absolutely nothing but only have a a couple magnets to keep it closed but also it floats like a cork - OR - a vacuum-sealed box that sinks like a rock so your flies will stay dry lodged under that snarl of deadfall at the bottom of the river?

I fish in moving water and if I drop a box it is going to leave me rapidly. If it floats I have a chance to recover it, and if the flies are wet I would still be happy to have found it.
Guest1 and wt bash like this.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM

quimby is on a distinguished road

deleted because it was "flamebait" after re-reading it.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Is half the cr@p we buy actually worth it? Simple answer NO
Ain't that the truth!

Getting back to the fly box, I appreciate that the Japanese designer deserves complete respect for his initial design, and I would think by now, he must be a very rich man, good for him.
But lets think about it, what is the real cost of a small C&F box, two dollars? We pay RRP $40, I know we have the initial tooling up to consider, shipment, middlemen etc, but there is still a massive profit there, how many years has C&F held that design, 10?
Now the patents are exhausted, and a multitude of others are offering an identical box for $8, and that's after shipment, tooling, middlemen etc, is it because Chinese labour is that much less than Japanese? I doubt it.
The real price of these fly boxes is now on offer to the angler, if you choose to buy the identical box at the lower price, is entirely up to the individual, I suppose your conscience plays a part in the final decision, only you can decide.
The game fishing market has been big money for many years, as soon as the word fly fishing appears, it's twice the price of coarse fishing.
Wading boots, clothing, all the same, silly prices for something that can be bought for a lot less in a decent outdoor shop, as long as the labels don't upset you.
It's a fact of life now, we have competition from China, and there is no bigger tackle tart, logo lover than me, I have and do pay top dollar for what I want, but I can honestly say that the Chinese reel I bought from the link I put up, has been utterly trouble free, and has played some superb fish in the last three seasons for me, and still looks like new, unlike two Greys Streamlite reels and one Hardy CC, which have both been repaired twice, and cost three times the price.
It makes you think.
S.
wt bash likes this.

Last edited by Mrtrout; 03-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The point I tried making was how ironic that a Japanese product was cloned when for years it was the Japanese doing the cloning on a great many items.
I do indeed appreciate workmanship, quality and great original design and try as best I can to reward the real thinkers with buying their products over the copies when possible.
I feel for the innovator and thinker who comes up with a grand design only to have it cheapened by unethical people who can't think for themselves but know a good thing when they see it and have the means to duplicate good designs.
Without the innovator and thinker where would we be?
Support your local thinker, innovator and trailblazer for if we don't they might go away.