The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Worst Fishing Car Ever

I've been down that road boz! Had the same issues with mine so ff to the scrap yard it went after some serious abuse. My worst is my best because its what I have and its my daily driver so I love it and hate it at the same time. A 86 Cherokee, with no drivers side or rear windshield, I drive an icebox with no heat, radio or comfort. Ohio winters suck but I can go anywhere with 4wd, the down side is the hole in the passenger side floor is getting bigger and I just found out my brake lights only work when the feel like it. Next ride will be of the German persuasion, my fist car was a Jetta. The odometer crapped out at 264,000 miles and I've driven from Maine to Florida having to stop for gas once. With the right set of tires and proper driving that car could go just about anywhere within reason. I know I should support US made cars but when we come out with a car that could take the abuse and mileage (with little to no maintenance), and get the same MPG the next car will be a Volkswagen.
theboz and jeepster II like this.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on the VW Bill. Maybe Marco can get us a deal. Hey and not to get off the subject but I can really use you in the Clouser swap if you could squeeze a dozen out before you hit the cane?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

My gosh Bash...You are a seriously tough dude!

Don't think I have ever had a worst fishing vehicle, ever since highschool there has been a pickup or jeep in my drive way. Wait a minute, I had almost erased it from my memory, a white cherokee and was it ever a piece of junk. Took it to the Rockies and 35mph is all it would give going up the mountains.

Dave
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

All I know is every car I have owned made a horrible pair of waders, but made amazing clippers.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
My gosh Bash...You are a seriously tough dude!

Don't think I have ever had a worst fishing vehicle, ever since highschool there has been a pickup or jeep in my drive way. Wait a minute, I had almost erased it from my memory, a white cherokee and was it ever a piece of junk. Took it to the Rockies and 35mph is all it would give going up the mountains.

Dave
My buddy has a Jeep that is seriously the biggest POS I have ever ridden in, but he is like me cheap, so we keep our vehicles till they blow flames.

But last time we went to his lake house, we were coming back and started hitting the Ozark hills and we actually had to pull over because it would overheat from going up the hills haha it was actually a lot more fun this way I think, especially because it gave us time to rest since we were a bit hung over.

Dude still drives it though haha always makes me laugh when we all meet up for drinks after working and he is in a nice suit and in a beat up POS Jeep.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

My worst fishing car had to be a '93 Dodge Caravan. Sure, I could carry more gear than I would be able to use in a lifetime, but the thing was a true POS, couldn't get me back into the good places, and worst of all, it was a green minivan. We had named her "Anita", as in, Anita Minivan. The second time the transmission started to go (once at 75K, again at 135K), we traded her in on a '95 GMC Jimmy that we named "Ivana", as in, Ivana Truck. That Jimmy was a great fishing vehicle and would take me down roads I never even contemplated before. It was supposed to be a short term vehicle, but I ended up running it until the fenders rusted away.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hands down '80 subaru gl 2 door my bro had in the mid 90's.
complete POS.
doors were held closed by bungee cords, no seat belts, and the little tires were completely bald
when it finally died, the front left wheel fell off, and i mean the entire tire,wheel,hub sheered off.
worst car ever.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
I'm with you on the VW Bill. Maybe Marco can get us a deal. Hey and not to get off the subject but I can really use you in the Clouser swap if you could squeeze a dozen out before you hit the cane?

I'm holding out for VW to drop a new version of the Syncro Vanagon with a turbo diesel. Ok count me in, I managed to find some strips today that I can make work for a 5'6" Bushwhacker so I'm ahead in the game there. I'll make it official on the swap thread.
theboz likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
i'm holding out for vw to drop a new version of the syncro vanagon with a turbo diesel. Ok count me in, i managed to find some strips today that i can make work for a 5'6" bushwhacker so i'm ahead in the game there. I'll make it official on the swap thread.
you da man!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Since WT mentioned mileage I thought I would toss one more car in.

Back in around 2003 or 4 I bought a fairly new Oldsmobile Achieva. I got it as a salvage vehicle for almost nothing because it had been totaled by a hail storm from a near miss by a tornado. The hail had been between golf ball and a tad smaller than a hardball.

It put big stinking divots all over the car. Other than looking like a maniac went at it with a ball peen hammer it was a sweet car. I got amazing mileage with it. Like never under 30 mpg and on the highway I got 35 or so.

I talked to other people who had owned the same car and when I told them what kind of mileage I got, they looked at me like I was telling a fat fib. They said they didn't get mileage like that.

I started telling them that it must be the dimples all over the car. You know, the golf ball effect. They have a dimple pattern they don't allow in the PGA because they travel to far. Then I always added "In the future, all cars will have dimples!" with a sweeping Wheel of Fortune-ish prize arm gesture along the car.

About a year or two ago I was watching Myth Busters. They tested the theory that dimples in a car improve the mileage. It wasn't even close. It improved the mileage by something like 9 mpg. It was something like a 25 or 30% improvement. My joke was in fact a reallity. If gas keeps going up like this, I'm getting the hammer.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Those divots probably worked much like they do on a golf ball. SCIENCE!
Guest1 likes this.