The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Worst Fishing Car Ever

We all have our favorite fishing vehicles, but what was your worst?
For me it was a Jeep Wagoneer. I can't remember the year (I've tried to forget everything about that vehicle), but it was one of those big Wagoneers. Honestly, I think there wasn't a part on that car that didn't break or fail in some manner. The last straw was when I was stretching the rubber deal that held the backseat up and it broke and I actually punched myself in the jaw. Nice-looking, but terrible vehicle.
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Worst Fishing Car Ever

"stretching the rubber deal that held the backseat up and it broke and I actually punched myself in the jaw"

That'll teach you for bad mouthing an American icon! ;-)

Just kidding. I'd never own a Jeep.

I own and hate/love (more of the former now) a subaru baja. It is UGLY WEIRD but I couldn't justify getting a pickup or getting just a car so I got BOTH!

Ugh. It's held up well. But it's losing power and that short bed has gotten shorter and shorter as I've gotten more stuff and older.

Still can't justify getting a pickup. I work from home, don't drive much at all. So I'm thinking of picking up a small SUV of the German persuasion.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Brought back a bad memory! I had one of the first Chevy Blazers with the aluminum block engines and 4wd change on the fly.I would hit the beach and of course it would go into 4wd 1 out of every 4 times! And the new and "improved"engine went after one year! Had it fixed under the warranty and sold it! Nothing worse than not having 4wd in the sand when you need it!
wt bash likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Always been a Toyota PU guy. My '79 was unfortunately wrapped around a Redwood a few years back (300,000+ mi and good as new) so the MR2 was pressed into service for a while.

1991 Toyota MR2

Now the MR2 is a driver's car, but not a fisherman's car. I'd load it with the T tops off and then put em on like a lid to hold it all together. Just a little cramped and 2 piece rods were NOT HAPPENNIN
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A 1969 Rambler American Station wagon..... what else do you need to know ?

I did take that car all over though and there wasn't an inch that didn't have a dent.
I remember one night ripping the carpet out to use as insulation when camped near Moosehead Lake, Maine
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had one I thought "Hey, this thing sucks for fishing." I have had a few that I loved a lot, but not just for fishing.

The one I remember the most as far as fishing goes was a '62 Valient with a push button transmission. I had it back when I was in the Navy, stationed on a Submarine based in Pearl Harbor in the mid 70's. It had originally been white but there was a lot of 'rust control' that had gone on before I got it for $50. Most of that newer paint was black, giving it a kind of dairy cow paint job.

On the front quarter panels, some previous owner had painted the name 'Moby'. That was what everyone called it, like it was one of the crew. "Hey, where's Moby?"

There were rust holes in the floor boards in the front seat on both the driver's and passenger's side big enough to drop a beer can through like a depth charge.

One time a friend of mine from a different sub, so I didn't get to see him much, and I decided to go fish up along the North shore. We had been in the same sub shool class. We had a big stinky squid for cut bait. It got left in the car for two days with the windows rolled up, in the hot Hawaii sun. (Not my fault, long story for a whole different thread) I never did get the smell out. Fortunately you can ride around with the windows down all year long in Hawaii.

That car has a lot of memories to go with it. I may have paid a whole whopping $50 for it, the cost of a pair of overpriced nippers , but it is still to this day one of my favorite cars I ever owned.

Call me lucky, but I have never had a bad car for fishing.
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

I have a fishing buddy who also had a Wagoneer, even older than mine, and it was just as bad. I remember being off the beaten path one day when it caught on fire and we had to open the hood and throw sand on the fire. I remember he used to call that thing Rambo and he liked it, even though it was constantly costing him money.
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I've never had one I thought "Hey, this thing sucks for fishing." I have had a few that I loved a lot, but not just for fishing.

The one I remember the most as far as fishing goes was a '62 Valient with a push button transmission. I had it back when I was in the Navy, stationed on a Submarine based in Pearl Harbor in the mid 70's. It had originally been white but there was a lot of 'rust control' that had gone on before I got it for $50. Most of that newer paint was black, giving it a kind of dairy cow paint job.

On the front quarter panels, some previous owner had painted the name 'Moby'. That was what everyone called it, like it was one of the crew. "Hey, where's Moby?"

There were rust holes in the floor boards in the front seat on both the driver's and passenger's side big enough to drop a beer can through like a depth charge.

One time a friend of mine from a different sub, so I didn't get to see him much, and I decided to go fish up along the North shore. We had been in the same sub shool class. We had a big stinky squid for cut bait. It got left in the car for two days with the windows rolled up, in the hot Hawaii sun. (Not my fault, long story for a whole different thread) I never did get the smell out. Fortunately you can ride around with the windows down all year long in Hawaii.

That car has a lot of memories to go with it. I may have paid a whole whopping $50 for it, the cost of a pair of overpriced nippers , but it is still to this day one of my favorite cars I ever owned.

Call me lucky, but I have never had a bad car for fishing.
Had a Valient with the push button transmission also.Dont know if it was a 62 but it was solid like a tank!It was grey and I got it as a hand down from my grandfather.Great car for city traffic cause you know you weren't going to be the one with the dent , nothing dented that machine!Had a lot of fun in that car!
Guest1 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I liked every fishing rig I ever had. The most inconvenient was my 1980 CJ5. I had to pack every square inch perfectly just for a four day primitive fish camp. Everything I owned at the time was small. Tent, stove, everything. However that jeep was the beginning of the search for my greatest fishing rig of all time, my J20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
We all have our favorite fishing vehicles, but what was your worst?
For me it was a Jeep Wagoneer. I can't remember the year (I've tried to forget everything about that vehicle), but it was one of those big Wagoneers. Honestly, I think there wasn't a part on that car that didn't break or fail in some manner. The last straw was when I was stretching the rubber deal that held the backseat up and it broke and I actually punched myself in the jaw. Nice-looking, but terrible vehicle.
What? An FSJ was your worst? Jeep stands for Just Everybody Else's Parts. Blame them. You just didn't connect with the versatility of the fsj waggy. That rubber piece off the seat could be used to repair other parts. Most people get whacked a little lower on the body by the failure of the rear hatch window crank. But the biggest whacker of them all is the six inch long hood release arm hanging down when you open the hood. That thing has sent people to the hospital. Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A 1969 Rambler American Station wagon..... what else do you need to know ?

I did take that car all over though and there wasn't an inch that didn't have a dent.
I remember one night ripping the carpet out to use as insulation when camped near Moosehead Lake, Maine
My parents had a valiant with the push button tranny and I remember the slant six in it very well. My dad had a 69 rambler american classic straight six we took across country four times. There were always a dozen rods in them at all times. Good times.

In the desert the locals rip the carpet out to use for traction, creating place names like carpet hill and rug road.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
"stretching the rubber deal that held the backseat up and it broke and I actually punched myself in the jaw"

That'll teach you for bad mouthing an American icon! ;-)

Just kidding. I'd never own a Jeep.

I own and hate/love (more of the former now) a subaru baja. It is UGLY WEIRD but I couldn't justify getting a pickup or getting just a car so I got BOTH!

Ugh. It's held up well. But it's losing power and that short bed has gotten shorter and shorter as I've gotten more stuff and older.

Still can't justify getting a pickup. I work from home, don't drive much at all. So I'm thinking of picking up a small SUV of the German persuasion.
I wouldn't bad mouth that Baja too much. I have a 1998 Outback. That all wheel drive has gotten me through soo,,, many mucky spring island roads over the years, that she is now affectionately named Tank. Living in the country, my wife and I, believe in the one beater one better car approach. The other is a 2004 all wheel drive wagon of the Swedish persuasion. Another tank.
Nearenuf likes this.